O/T- New boots

I finally got off my arse and purchased a set of new tech-6 boots Sunday. It has been several years (12) sence I rode with real MX boots. I can't for the life of me remember how I did it so well.

Now my question is how do I get these monster boots broken in enough to ride like I used too. I have already adjusted the shifter up one notch (two up would not alow me to up-shift).

I keep half shifting or getting my toe caught under the shifter. Then I keep getting my right foot stuck on the rear brake. Do I just need to quit my b*tchen and ride, or is there a trick that I am missing.

Also, who makes a good replacement shifter with out the gay rubber tip for the DRZ. I really dont like that thing. It keeps leaving a black mark on work boots and I think its helping my new boots stay firmly stuck under there.

I do apologize for the long boring post, but hey its what I do. :banghead:

I found that with my Thor Quadrant boots the problems I was having with the shifter were caused by not riding in the 'attack' position like I should be. As for the brake I'm gonna lower mine a little more.

I wore mine around the house for a while to help break them in. Then when it came time to ride with them, I made sure they were the only item of new gear I was wearing so I didn't have to adjust to too many things at once. I found that just like riding with wintert gloves, riding with a new pair of modern MX boots takes a little getting used to. Funny how the Thor Quadrant is near the bottom of the rung for MX boots; 26 years ago they would have been the shiznit............. :banghead:

Personally, I don't like Sno-Seal™, I find my boots breathe better with REI silicone seal or just good ol' KIWI™ shoe polish.

Something else considering the Alpinestars Tech6:

I ride with the IMS pro footpegs (the sharp ones) and its a disaster:

It just chews the soles like mad.

I've Replaced the original 2003-model-sole with the new 2004 sole but guess what - - - after only 6 rides it starts again... horrible wear marks, especially on the left sole (makes sense).

The sole & labour are quite expansive, i don't like the idea of replacing it that often. Has anyone tried puting there some other sole?

I've never tried it, but heard of the water trick before. Mine broke in after a couple of rides. At first I thought "no way I can ride with these" Now I wouldn't ride off road without 'em.

I just replaced my shifter and spent hours looking for one. I know shoulda called TT store, but needed it now and went local. I couldn't find any w/out the rubber tip, went w/ MSR 1" extended.

The tip is gray rubber, so it won't mark your pretty boots :applause: j/k

Otherwise it seems to work better(especially w/my size 13 gunboats)

Good luck :banghead:

At first I thought "no way I can ride with these" Now I wouldn't ride off road without 'em.

I just replaced my shifter and spent hours looking for one........ went w/ MSR 1" extended.

HA! When I ride street only I wear different boots; feels like I'm riding barefoot! ?

Thanks for the tip on the MSR shifter. I only have size 11 feet but they feel like 12 1/2. :banghead:

Something I did on my Daytona shifter was remove the large knurled rubber sleeve and replaced it with a piece of fuel line that was half the diameter. Made a big difference for slipping my 'piggies' underneath it. :applause:

Thanks for all the input. I figured it was just the fact I have not had a set of real mx boots for a long time. Plus the fact I just got back into riding.

I will have to see about getting the better shift lever and/or replacing the rubber pad.

I will also look into adjusting the height of the rear brake lever, never had a bike with rear disc so this is new to me. My last bike had front disc rear drum... eak... it has been a long time sence I owned a bike :banghead:

Well, after a week of putting the new boots on and riding around the block a few times and walking around in the yard. I decided to go for a long ride.

I put on my new gear from the block sale and the new Tech 6's and headed out with a co-worker for Big Bear, CA.

I had a few missed shifts and a few acceidental shifts, but got used to them rather quickly. I now remember how riding is suposed to feel (for your feet anyway), and dont know how I was trail riding with out boots for the last few months.

I am very happy with the boots and thank you all for the tips on getting them broken in. The water trick worked, plus they got a little wet on the water crossings on the trail.