Sign in to follow this  

what made you buy an exotic?

first off, I must admit that most of the so called "exotic bikes" are really attractive. Most are priced from reasonably well to not TOO expensive, and even I myself toyed around with the idea of getting a Berg last year from Eric's Cycle in Pasadena, CA. However quick search online for some basic after market stuff made me go with an XR 400. Yes, very unexotic. But I believe that part of the fun of owning a bike is being able to open a catalog and brows through all the cool stuff you can get for your bike: triple clamps, exhausts, sprockets, seats, ect. The other factor that played a major role in getting a jap bike was dealer support and parts availability. After all, I wanna ride my bike and not sit and wait for my parts to arrive.

I guess I'm wondering what made guys get an "exotic" bike. What do you like about them? And would you do it again?

I would say my thinking is that when you get an exotic bike it already comes stock with the bling bits; top shelf forks, wheels, brakes, etc. Not much need to upgrade anything.

Depending on the make/model the spare parts can be easy or difficult to get. With Husaberg being part of KTM and sharing lots of similar bits you can get parts at any KTM/HSB dealer. Other exotic bikes with smaller dealer networks or Italian management and their frequent financial troubles may be more difficult.

If you go for a japanese bike (nothing wrong with this choice) there are a number of upgrades needed to bring it up to bling spec. After the upgrades are said and done the monetary investment is almost the same as having bought an exotic in the first place.

My first bike was an XL250 which NEVER saw any maintenance

My second bike was a TS250 which saw PLENTY of maintenance but no modification

My third bike was an XR250 which saw PLENTY of both.

My fourth bike required NO modification to go fast cause it is a VOR!

Yes it did have a problem but was fixed fairly promptly. Parts supply has NEVER been a problem and I NEVER have to go through catalogues and dream of all the parts I could buy! There's no need, I just ride it!

Don't get me wrong I really like working on bikes, but why pay for all the aftermarket bits when they come standard? I'd buy euro again, they just handle so sweetly!

Bergs', Vor's, Vertimati's, TM's, Highland's, Gas Gas's and so on are not really exotics here in Europe, their rare but not 'exotic' as such. Stuff like Cannondale's, Terra Modenas, Kramit's and Praga's are more exotic I would say, even if the Praga's are cheap.

For me, the reason for buying what people often refer to as exotics, is that the bikes come ready to ride with all the "goodies" in a clean package. I have converted Jap mx bikes into enduro racers and never been that happy with them, they cost too much $$$ and still weren't "complete". For the most part, the exotics use higher quality metals / parts, or at least have many small details thought out already. Examples include the following: TM's are bomb proof (will take seasons of abuse) with oodles of trick parts, but a little rough on the edges. On the other extreme, GasGas is like having a factory prep'ed enduro bike with all the details thought out, but durability is not as high (but still better than Japan). Husaberg builds the benchmark 4T that the other factorys measure against. I could go on, but I think you get the point.

I've had many bikes over the years (33 yrs of riding/ racing), TM's stand out head and shoulders above the rest for me as the best overall bikes to own / ride / race, but they are big $$$$. I currently own a Husky 125 (an exotic to some), and am very happy with it. Husky's are well thought out, refined, quality bikes (Japanese refinement with euro quality parts!), with good parts availability, making them the best value out there.

What size bike do you want? What type of riding?

On the other extreme, GasGas is like having a factory prep'ed enduro bike with all the details thought out, but durability is not as high (but still better than Japan).

Only The 2 Smokes,My 400fse Is The Biggest Pile Of $%^& :banghead:🤣:busted::applause::busted:🤣:busted:🤣 To EVER Be Made.

The Husaberg And Vor In The Garage Are The Complete Opposite🤣🤣🤣:busted:

I don't own one but thinking about it and the reason is lots of parts that I would have to buy for the jap are already on and I like to be different and here I'm already the only street SM with my drz so if I get the berg 650 that I want for sure no one will haver one like mine for a while. :banghead:

I had CCMs, a Wetho (ever heard of that???),a couple of older Huskies, a VOR , a Vertemati and now the TC 250.

All the good reasons to ride an exotic have been said before.

But to be honest , the main reason for me is that almost nobody else has such a bike!

So many people buy sticker kits, seatcovers, anodized wheels and other custom parts for their CRF or YZ. For me that means that most people want to stay ahead of the crowd.

I never thougt of buying cool graphics for my Vertemati.....it´s just not necessary ( and not available as well...:-)

Can you imagine that i feel like going mainstream with my 05 Husky now???

Twin

I just like to be different, which is why I'm the only one racing a Husky locally. I would probably have gone with a TM but there is no local dealer and Husky give us a 24 month competition warranty over here.

It seems to be an overall opinion - buy the more exotic and it has everything already. I changed in 1980~ because of the dealer - I had raced Yamaha for 10~ years and the dealer NEVER had anything(parts AND knowledge) - I went Husky and the bike AND dealer had everything!! You really get what you pay for!!! :banghead:

I bought exotic, enjoyed the ride (when it was going) and as a bonus got to experience the spectacle(or lack thereof) of yet another Italian company going out of business.

Apparently it is the done thing to keep your loyal buyers informed by heresay and rumour.

Yeah buy exotic and enjoy the experience.

Only The 2 Smokes,My 400fse Is The Biggest Pile Of $%^& :banghead:🤣:busted::applause::busted:🤣:busted:🤣 To EVER Be Made.

The Husaberg And Vor In The Garage Are The Complete Opposite🤣🤣🤣:busted:

OK oliwally, tm enduros comment was for current GGs, and they are much improved over your "old" FSE400. Just because you had a bad experience with your GG doesn't mean you have to keep bringing it up, I counted at least 21 (some twice in one day) of your old fse bashing posts from now to back to early January. Maybe you got a lemon or maybe your maintenance habits are poor. I've had a bad bike or two in my time but I got over it. Since the new 4 stroke GGs are so much different than your '03 lemon, comments like that have no credibility. Your future negative comments will only hold credibility when someone asked about an '03, NOT THE CURRENT BIKES, and hopefully they don't see you as a chronic complainer.

I've always liked oddball vehicles. First car I ever restored was a 1953 Hudson Hornet. I currently race a 1972 Fiat 128 Sedan in vintage/historic road racing. I don't worry about dealers because I can fix my bike or racecar better than any one else could. When my brother offered to sell me his ATK, I had never heard of them before. But since it was offbeat, I was intrigued. Anyone else would have said "No Way" :applause:, but I thought "cool"🤣 . Another plus is you find out who the real bike geeks are, because they are the only ones who come over and check out your ride. Finally, it's hard to beat the value for my ATK- $1300 for a 6 year old bike with a ton of trick parts that cost 4X new. ATK supposedly was too tame as a MX bike , but as long as I can beat my older brother on his 2005 Honda CRF 250 in a drag race, it will be fast enough. :banghead: Even when I bought a Honda, I went for the wierdest one they have made in 20 years🤣

Marc in Indy

95 ATK 250 LQ trail bike

86 Honda TLR 200 trials bike/kid chaser

Maybe you got a lemon or maybe your maintenance habits are poor.

Think Mine Was A Friday Bike :busted: . Every Time I Try And Get It Sorted Something Else Goes Wrong. I've Only Riden The Thing For Around 3 Hours And It Started To Go Tits Up. :banghead:

First Was The Valve Clearance-HUGH

Then The Wonky Handling-Serviced Forks And New Springs-Much Better But Still Feels Like Turning An Oil Tanker Though. :applause:

Sticking Throttle :busted: -Plastic Cover At Butterfly Distorted.

Strange Lighting-New Light Switch

Speedo Packed Up-Went On A Spending Spree-CRD Frame+Sump Guard,New Renthal Fat Bars And Clamps,Red Pro grips And Trail Tech.

First Ride Out With These The Thing Starts Playing Up Again🤣🤣🤣:busted: -HUGH Valve Clearances Again-No Nasty Signs Of Wear,Sorted And Oil,Oil Filter And Coolant Change,First 2 Miles Everything Was Ok,First The Clutch Started To Drag,Then Started Cutting Out When Quickly Opening Throttle,Then When Closing,Finally Stopped Dead At Around 40/50 Around A Few Gentle S Bends,Plenty Buttons Made With The Seat When The Rear Wheel Locks On Compression.

Pushed The Thing Home And Ripped It To Pieces,Battery Completely Dead,Charged Up For 3 Days Then Refitted,Turned Over Fast A Few Times Then Fired,Ran For About 2 Mins Then Dies,Flat Battery. Charged Again,Chased All Wiring And Connections,Tightend And Cleaned As I Went. It Now Wont Even Turn Over.

Have Had Enough Of It For Now And Its Left Sitting In The Garage Now.🤣🤣

The Other Annoying Thing With It,How Many DIFFERENT Size Nuts And Bolts Do You Need To Build A Bike!!!

Rant Over🤣

Are The New Ones Better In That Department?

I Wasnt Ranting For Rantings Sake,Just Trying To Show That The Unreliable Bikes That Share The Garage Have Been SSOOOOOO Much Better. Even When The Berg Had A Tantrum It Was Quite A Simple Fix.

I Dont Want To Spend £400 On The Hardware/Softwear To Read My Fault Codes Or Richen The Mixture With The Limited EFI Crap That Fitted,I'd Rather Be Playing With Them!

Why.........

It all started back in the late sixties/early seventies when you had all the different European motorcycle manufacturers. Bikes like Maico, CZ, Puch, Monark, Bultaco, Greeves, Husqvarna, DKW, Carrabela, BSA, Zundap, and many many more, could be seen at local races and riding areas. Then along comes these Japanese motorcycles. We welcomed them into the fold. And then more and more and more cheap Jap bikes. So many that the Euopean manufacturers were starting to go out of business. Then the Japs were paying big bucks to the Euro's to get them on there motorcycles. And slowly the Euro bikes dwindled away. I remember when Jap bikes were the EXOTICS. I like the idea of having something different. I'm a motorcyclist, I like motorcycles. The more different the better. Who wants to have the same thing over and over and over.

:banghead:

What puts me of is the residuals, not that I bike a bike to sell it, the TM's are a prime example, I have dealer only 2 miles away, would buy one for sure, no problems with maintaing the bike, lots of power, come with all the bits but nobody seems to want them second hand. Not that ebays the oracle for second hand prices but it lets you see what the consumer want, he doesnt want Hus, TM.