Sign in to follow this  

klx300 and tall"ish" riders

Hello,

I am 6'2" and have raised the handlebar set up so that it is easier to stand, however is there a fix to the sitting position. Let me clarify- sitting forward on the seat and going from sitting to standing is causing problem with an old knee injury. It is like doing deep knee bends or deep squats over and over. After a couple of hours my knee just can not take it.

I see 2 options:

1. Raise the seat

2. Lower the foot pegs.

If I were handy with a torch I would cut the foot pegs and move them down, but I am not.

Any ideas?

I see 2 options:

1. Raise the seat

2. Lower the foot pegs.

If I were handy with a torch I would cut the foot pegs and move them down, but I am not.

Any ideas?

Don't lower the foot pegs. That would increase foot contact with "objects" on or near the ground.

There is "Tall" foam seat replacements. I'm sure someone here that has done that will give you some input.

Ride on

Brewster

i took my seat to the local upholstery place, and for $50 they made it about 2" taller in the middle and 1" taller at the back and front. someone makes a taller, flatter seat foam for the bike too, but i don't know who.

many bikes (like ktm's) do well with fastway pegs in the low position, but the klx is so low and wide already that i would be nervous about lowering the pegs any further.

mw

Yeah, don't lower the pegs anymore, I already scrape bottom all the time. Jerry at Fourstrokeworks.com has tall seat foam. Give that a try. I know guys with knee problems that swear by it.

Hello,

I am 6'2" and have raised the handlebar set up so that it is easier to stand, however is there a fix to the sitting position. Let me clarify- sitting forward on the seat and going from sitting to standing is causing problem with an old knee injury. It is like doing deep knee bends or deep squats over and over. After a couple of hours my knee just can not take it.

I see 2 options:

1. Raise the seat

2. Lower the foot pegs.

Any ideas?

bewheels,

I'm 6' + and by adding the high seat foam it helped tremendously :banghead:

I also found adding 1" bar risers helped also, especially while standing.

www.4strokesonly.com carries the tall foam and matching seat cover. I recently spoke to them. They now carry soft and medium density. I've noticed on longer rides mines been a bit hard on the :applause: .....so I wouldn't recommend the firm foam.

The bar risers can be found for about $30 on eBay.

Good Luck!

Sangair

I was leaning more towards making the seat taller rather than refabricating the pegs.

From looking on the 4strokesonly site they no longer carry seat foam and/or covers. I really only need the foam because I have a new cover sitting in the garage. I guess I will need to visit an upholtery shop as mentioned by velosapien.

From looking on the 4strokesonly site they no longer carry seat foam and/or covers.

I recently spoke with Andy there...if you need one he can special order one...they normally do not stock KLX foam....and I believe the prices have gone up as well.

Sangair

Sounds familiar my friend. I am 6'3'' and was also the proud owner of a 2007 klx300r with protaper kx hi bars. In the end an accomodating thief stole my bike from my garage. I switched to a Yamaha WR450F with the higher seat, more horsepower and way better handling. I searched high and low for a way to modify the bike(klx300) and came up with nothing but an after market seat that was expensive and didn't fit right any way. I loved the bike, but don't miss it now. It just wasn't made for the vertically challenged. Good luck.

I am 6'6" and have to set up every bike I get. I just ordered tall seat foam and cover from guts racing. On my yzf426 my legs were so cramped I was having a hard time lifting my feet to get at the brake and shifter. I bought an sdg tall seat and the foam was so soft I bottomed the seat out and it was lower than the stock seat. I got some high density foam and built the seat up so it was 7.5" thick and my weight didn't compress the foam. The foot peg to seat hight on both bikes is 21" and I have 24.5" on the built up 426 seat. It is so easy to stand now and my knees don't hurt. It took some getting used to the height but now it feels natural. I found renthal bars with 6" rise, crf150r adult bend and I used risers also. Don't get me started on suspention.🤣