Sign in to follow this  

Slow Starting

Well, I finally raced my pumpkin and damn, is it just my bike or does every KTM crank over really slow.It's done it ever since it was new (feb)so i just thought it was normal.But i lost several places in the race because of it and it kinda pissed me off.I also have to bump the compression lever while cranking or it won't turn over at all.I think maybe the battery is the problem or is it just normal for the RFS's. :banghead:

That is not normal. I've had my bike since December 2004, and my bike still starts like a champ. I literally hold it for 1/2 a second and the bike is on.

I doubt your battery is bad - I believe KTM's are known for having a good strong battery.

When was the last time you did a valve adjustment?

Valve adjust is the first thing to look for in this case, since it's an 05. The 04's had a weak battery that gave a lot of folks fits. KTM went back to a stronger battery in 05 but some of the early 05's still had the weak battery so you want to check that, too. It should be a 7 series, I believe.

Well i think i found the problem.I hooked up my DVOM to the battery and did several crank tests and when it cranked slowly the voltage did drop to 4-5 volts.So unless there is some kind of intermittent excessive current draw in the starter,i'm pretty sure the battery is at fault.It is a 5 series batt. Would the batt. #'s be the same (7 series)except the 5. ?

I think so. Do some searching in this forum and the 4 stroke forum on KTMtalk and look for battery. There are many threads about the correct battery for it. You may have to get the deeper battery box, too. It's pretty cheap, I believe.