oil draining problem

I made a mess last night...

I decided to change my oil, so dropped the drain plug (w/Tonn's racing Skid plate installed...lesson learned), pulled the oil filter while the case was draining, replaced w/ new one, replaced the plug, buttoned it all up, and started pouring in the new oil. The first quart went in no problem, but the second quart didn't.

I got about the first 1/4 of the quart down the neck and then the funnel started backing up. SHIZZZ!!! So, I stop...thinking maybe there's an air bubble in the frame...after a minute w/no change in the level in the funnel, I say screw-it, and lift the funnel to see what's going on...

After some thought, I can only assume the oil from the frame didn't drain out through the case. Sound about right?

So, providing I'm right, I suppose I better pull the two plugs at the bottom of the frame resevoir, to properly drain the entire thing. I've a feeling, since this hasn't ever happened before, that for some odd reason the filter at the bottom of the frame is nearly plugged. Now I did clean this thing 2 oil changes ago, and normally change my oil every 1000 miles, but this time has been 1500 miles...

I use Royal Purple full Synthetic and change my filter every time...

Any advice on what I should also check while I'm at it would also be helpful and appreciated.

You need to open the frame downtube drain every time you change the oil, too.

If the bike was sitting for days, all the oil would have been sitting at the bottom of the engine, and you would have gotten it all out by your method. But you'd be wise to pull both drain plugs to make sure, in the future.

To check the oil level...

Run the bike for a minimum of three minutes, then let it sit for three minutes, and then check the dipstick level.

One more tip...

There is a small o-ring behind the filter. It's very easy to lose it when removing the filter. Be sure you install that o-ring before you install the new filter. If you don't, the oil flow will partly bypass the filter.

Hope that helps.

Unless theres some major failure the screen holds quite a bit of capacity, mines never been checked, at 36,000 miles.

the screen is not a high priority item IMO, unless you have some mechanical failure which fills it up.

Never considered a once a year cleaning to be an issue personally, it may just alert you of an impending problem

All better...Thanks to all...No chips in the screen either...only bugger is with the skid plate (Tonn's) I figured I'd not have to remove it to drain the oil...which I don't, if I don't mind the mess...

Do you have one of the older plates that is not notched for the frame drain? I have never had a problem out of mine and i never the take the plate off to drain my oil.

Do you have one of the older plates that is not notched for the frame drain? I have never had a problem out of mine and i never the take the plate off to drain my oil.

Even with my stock plate (Tonns on the way......... :banghead: ) when the last bit of oil is coming out of the frame, it 'takes a left at Albuqueque' and douses the plate, which gets oil everywhere!

I guess it wouldn't do this if it was on a stand rather than the kickstand.

Even with my stock plate (Tonns on the way......... :banghead: ) when the last bit of oil is coming out of the frame, it 'takes a left at Albuqueque' and douses the plate, which gets oil everywhere!

I guess it wouldn't do this if it was on a stand rather than the kickstand.

Ya even with the newer Tonnsracing skid plate you will have to have the bike upright to get the oil into the pan without a mess. The best way to do it is to lean it up against the garage almost standing straight up. The older design did not have a notch for the frame drain and it made it kind of messy to deal with. I recommend notching the older design. It will not take away from the strength as most would think. You can still park the front tire of a ford explorer on it and it will not bend trust me.Picture368.jpg

Pulled the screen last night before I put oil back in after the water pump fix. Screen was fine. Buttoned it back up and filled her with oil. Then, I noticed a brass washer on the ground. Hmmm....where did this come from?

Went back to the parts diagram and realized it was the washer from above the banjo fitting on the damn oil line. :banghead:

Pulled the screen last night before I put oil back in after the water pump fix. Screen was fine. Buttoned it back up and filled her with oil. Then, I noticed a brass washer on the ground. Hmmm....where did this come from?

Went back to the parts diagram and realized it was the washer from above the banjo fitting on the damn oil line. :banghead:

I fished mine out of a murky oil catcher pan that was 8 quarts full............

.........I heard the plop! and looked for the swirls in the dirty oil for the location.