Sign in to follow this  

Do you wear your wedding ring when you ride or race?

I met my husband at the track 3 years ago and we got married a year and a half ago (match made in heaven :banghead: )

So, I have a really cool wedding band (I didn't want the traditional engagement ring with a diamond). I have been wearing it since we were engaged and I never take it off even when I ride or race. I've thought that maybe I should in case I crash and break my hand or finger then it swells and they have to cut the ring off. But since I'm an optomist and I don't go riding thinking I'm going to crash, I just keep it on. Twice this year I've crashed and had my left hand pinched between the grip and clutch lever. The first time I was wedged in mud so not too much pressure. However, last weekend during a race, a girl went down in front of me and I was too close to avoid her. I hit her bike hard and my hand was trapped between the lever which was pinned to her bike. It hurt! I was able to shake it off and finish the race but when I took my glove off I saw that my poor wedding ring was bent into an oval and cracked. It is fairly thick platinum so I believe it saved my finger from breaking!

Just wondering what other girls do. Maybe I was lucky this time.

After my husband's ring got bent during a...tumble, we'll call it...we don't wear the rings while riding.

Too bad you can't have bark busters on your bike at the track. They would solve your problem.

I know you asked this of the gals, but I'll respond anyway. About 7 years ago I went down during practice for an MX race and my left grip hit my ring finger and bent my wedding ring. I managed to get it bent back and off my finger, but it was a bit concerning.

Then about a year ago I had an accident with a table saw and my left hand. Long story short, what was left of some of my fingers, required the Emergency Room to cut off my ring. My fingers are mostly restored, but I no longer wear a wedding ring.

Too bad you can't have bark busters on your bike at the track. They would solve your problem.

Is there some law against bark busters at the track that I am unaware of?

If so....

:banghead:

Guilty!!

PS - And no, no rings while riding.

I've raced with hand guards. I guess those might help some. I just don't like using them unless it is really muddy or cold. They sort of bug me because I see them in the corner of my vision.

When I was married I didn't wear my wedding ring while riding....I ride off-road and run bark busters. Good thing I didn't have my ring on when I broke my wrist or they would have had to cut it off.

I always take mine off...no easy feat..BIG knuckles with small fingers. I worry they will have to cut it off if something were to happen.

Wear the thing. If you bend it up, the jeweler can fix it. I am a jeweler, so I can tell you it is no big deal to round the band back out. If you get into a position where it needs to be cut off, that can usually be repaired too.

Happened to me once in the 17 yrs I have been married. I put my hand over a sharp metal stripping to keep my horse from being cut. A few stitches and one wedding ring repair later..............

I have heard more stories of people losing the rings because they take them off. Better to pay for a repair than have to buy new ring because you lost the thing!

I wear mine all the time so does Hubby. He is a finish carpenter and never takes it off for work either. Our rings are fairly solid, they were both custom made and when the jeweller asked we did for fun, work etc, she based the designs off of that.

My ring has a 1 carat center stone, she set the stone flush with the mounts (there are no claws) so that it does not stick up out of the ring. By doing that there is less of a chance that I could knock the stone out.

Once in 16 years......

I broke my finger because it got pinned by the clutch lever. One snip,the ring was off and the repair was no big deal.

Is there some law against bark busters at the track that I am unaware of?

Depends on the track operators. According to the AMA MX rules you aren't supposed to have wrap around handguards.

Depends on the track operators. According to the AMA MX rules you aren't supposed to have wrap around handguards.

Not to mention you can snap your wrists if you tumble over the bike.!!! bark busters are for hitting trees while trail riding. Not for jumping.

I wouldn't recommend wearing any jewelry on your wrist or fingers. Some severe injuries can be complicated by rings or bracelets. It's not worth the risk.

Although this was on my mountain bike and not on my dirt bike, I shattered my hand and wrist pretty severely about a year ago. It literelly swelled up so fast that I couldn't have gotten a ring or bracelet off in time, even if I was in the right state of mind to think of that given I also hit my head really hard and most likely wouldn't have remembered I had a ring on!

Also, the medics were apprehensive to remove my gloves or gear until we were at the hospital because the trauma to my hand and the rest of my body was so bad, so they wouldn't have even seen a ring on my hand. I'm lucky I wasn't wearing a ring because if I had one on, it could have completely cut off the circulation to one of my fingers for over an hour and a half by the time I was transported off the mountain and got to the ER.

I know nobody wants to be pesemistic and worry about crashing, but it's an easy step to take and can prevent some serious problems if something did happen. Cheers everyone and I hope this is never an issue any of you have to worry about.

Not to mention you can snap your wrists if you tumble over the bike.!!! bark busters are for hitting trees while trail riding. Not for jumping.

Good point on the AMA rules, forgot about that since I don't race MX anymore.

As for breaking your wrists, I have tumbled over the bike MANY more times in the woods than I ever did/do at the track.

After bending the heck out of my ring (and finger) windsurfing I soon realized that rings don't work well (or safely) for many of the sports (or even work) I do and I only wear my ring for special occasions.

BTW- for those of you who think that not wearing a ring means that the spouse may get hit on I have found the opposite to be true. Just after getting married I was on the road doing the Ski Show Circuit and I got hit on a lot, definitely more than when I was single. I mentioned this to a friend and they told me that guys look for married gals (the ring) to hit on as you're more likely to not to try to call them/track them down, thus complicating THEIR married lives. Hmmm. Slimey.

I always wear mine. Its just a band. I didn't want a diamond, so it would not get in the way.

I don't wear my ring while racing. I have in the past faithfully worn my ring do anything and everything. But, it has suffered a lot of damage over the years and many trips to the jeweler to be fixed. I have broken prongs, bent it, squished it, almost lost the diamond, etc. Now I just take it off for the weekend and not worry about it. Although, I do have to admit, I often forget to put it back on come Monday.