Sign in to follow this  

DRZ's in the CO Mountains???

I've got a DRZ-400S and have done most of the mods, carb, airbox, rear sprocket and knobbies. My question is about real performance in the mountains. I know my bike is heavy compared to the off road models, but it has alot of torque for climbing. My buddy has a 2smoke and is used to burning up his clutch climbing the hills. He said,"your bike is fine for local tracks and fire roads, but see how you feel after you hit some of this Colorado back country and have to lug that thing over boulders, downed BIG trees and water crossings. You'll think why in the hell did I sign on for this." I think the DRZ is probably more capable in that terrain than I am. Is my buddy really biased, or somewhat factual?? tks

He's somewhat biased and somewhat correct. Depending on elevation and jetting, you'll loose around 20% of your power. You'll loose about that much of your body power too. It doesn't take much exertion at 10K' ASL to get you winded. Especially coming from sea level, give yourself a couple days, if possible, to acclimate somewhat. Drink more water than you think you can.

The best advice I can give is to not drop the bike, don't get stuck, and ride smooth.

Where are you planning on riding?

I have a 02' DRZ-400s, its not the biggest bike (291#) out there but sure starts to feel that way after 60+ miles in the high country. Performance in the mountains is good for a intermediate rider, but if you want to go fast over advanced terrain the extra weight will take its toll.

He's somewhat biased and somewhat correct. Depending on elevation and jetting, you'll loose around 20% of your power.

The best advice I can give is to not drop the bike, don't get stuck, and ride smooth.

Thanks guys, that's about what I thought. The answer is yes and no, ha. I like my 4 stroke, it could stand to loose some weight, and turn signals.

I thought the 4 strokes did better at altitude than the 2 smokes? They will loose the same percentage of power, or worse if not jetted properly?

He went to Rampart range last time, and then up in the mountains by Colo Springs. I love the mountains, and don't mind a few tough climbs or obstacles. But I am Intermediate and know I'm not ready for the 'black diamond' trails of CO.

Yea, two strokes will lose as much power as the 4 strokes.

Rampart is around 9K' and the terrain is, in comparison with say, Taylor Park, somewhat mild in challenge. The mountains around COS are probably the Divide trail system which is like Rampart. The one multi-use trail in town is known as Captain Jacks and it has sections that'll make you huff-n-puff if you aren't ready for it. It's a good day ride but not a "destination" IMHO.

That's why I'd like to go riding with some knowledgeable folks out there. The topo maps aren't too helpful, you take a wrong turn and are in big trouble. Any suggestions for good intermediate terrain in the mountains? Prefer remote, without four wheelers. tks

Prefer remote, without four wheelers. tks

Yea, so would we all...

There really is NO GOOD RIDING IN COLORADO. Rick Ramz has a few places he likes tho...

Yea, so would we all...

There really is NO GOOD RIDING IN COLORADO.

Ha, ha, Nice try, I'm STILL coming! :banghead: Funny thing down here, all the four wheelers love to play on the main road by the parking lot. When you ride out on the trails, you've got them almost to yourself. Thanks for the link.

Yea, so would we all...

There really is NO GOOD RIDING IN COLORADO. Rick Ramz has a few places he likes tho...

Hey, that site should be sent in PM's only. :banghead:

I think you'll do fine on the DRZ400S. The only thing is you'd have a much better time on something lighter. Not quite sure why your buddy burns out clutches on hills here. I've never smoked one.

Hey, that site should be sent in PM's only. :banghead:

I think you'll do fine on the DRZ400S. The only thing is you'd have a much better time on something lighter. Not quite sure why your buddy burns out clutches on hills here. I've never smoked one.

My XR400 is dangerously close to 300 lbs gassed up. I've ridden just about anything CO has thrown at me with it. 4 stroke is the way to go, even better without radiadtors. E-start is a huge bonus.

Here's the deal....if you drop the bike just a few times, you'll become exhausted quickly(10x more so if your bike is kickstart only). The first time I rode Cpt Jacks I must have dumped/stalled over 15 times. I literally could not walk by the time I got home. That night my legs were still cramping up in bed. A few months later, I rode the same trail witout dumping and barely broke a sweat. Don't get me wrong, it's still a blast and challenging, but as Merf said, riding smooth is the key to fighting exhaustion.

Make sure your bike is jetted properly or the trip will suck.

Hey, that site should be sent in PM's only. :applause:

Thought about that, but Rick hisself has posted that link so I thought it'd be otay, but ... my bad. :banghead:

He's somewhat biased and somewhat correct. Depending on elevation and jetting, you'll loose around 20% of your power. You'll loose about that much of your body power too. It doesn't take much exertion at 10K' ASL to get you winded. Especially coming from sea level, give yourself a couple days, if possible, to acclimate somewhat. Drink more water than you think you can.

I'm not real experienced with jetting on my bike as I really never delved into that before selling it but I will tell you that without proper jetting it will run like crap and worse yet if you get high enough it will puke and die over and over making you use your choke open and full throttle to get it started again. Most riding in Moab, I didn't have a problem but on this ride boy I sure did. I thought I was going to kill my starter for sure before I made it to the top.

Ride pic of my son during ride in question at porcupine rim, Moab Utah :banghead:

Mikeporcupinerim.jpg

I've got a DRZ-400S and have done most of the mods, carb, airbox, rear sprocket and knobbies. My question is about real performance in the mountains. I know my bike is heavy compared to the off road models, but it has alot of torque for climbing. My buddy has a 2smoke and is used to burning up his clutch climbing the hills. He said,"your bike is fine for local tracks and fire roads, but see how you feel after you hit some of this Colorado back country and have to lug that thing over boulders, downed BIG trees and water crossings. You'll think why in the hell did I sign on for this." I think the DRZ is probably more capable in that terrain than I am. Is my buddy really biased, or somewhat factual?? tks

The DRZ will do what his will do in the long run but it will undoubtedly be harder on you and the bike, IE damage to the bike. Hey I sold my bike for the same reason but I have to give kudos to riding experience. I went up with my bro on some real technical steep switch backs stuff last year and on this particular section, I looked at it and said no way can I do this. He hopped on it and no problems. I guess I was scared to crash the new bike :banghead:

Thought about that, but Rick hisself has posted that link so I thought it'd be otay, but ... my bad. :banghead:

OFF WITH YOUR HEAD!

Nice picture !! How did you arrange that dramatic lighting?

I was going to say its all about the camera but I have two others, one from 2002 and 2004. The one from 2002 looks the same with an old camera. I think late in the day and cloudy the other on a sunny day with no clouds but with a new digi camera :banghead: I think its all about being late in the day with clouds and the sun a couple hours from going down.