Sign in to follow this  

CRF 250 to XR440 Graft

I have a line on a 04 CRF 250 front end complete (trees,brakes,rim,and all) and am looking for some input on the possibility of grafting this front end on a 00 XR 440. Has anyone here done it with the twin chambered forks? I'm exploring the feasibility of the change before beginning any work on the bike.

You're going to need to have a custom stem made. Thats the real issue with most of the USD fork swaps. Steering stops might have to be extended too.

I am in the process of installing some 00 CR125 forks on my 400. The only thing with my set up is that some small sleve/spacer for the XR stem to fit into the CR clamps. Not sure how much the clamps differ from the ones you have. The steering stops isnt a real big issue seems like there are several ways to accomplish that.

How far along are you? I'd assume the triples are quite similar to yours. So I need a sleeve instead of a new steering stem? Sounds more doable all the time. Are the CR bearings too large? Stem too long or all of the above? Keep us posted on your progress and please share some photos of the process if possible.

The CR stem is fatter at the bottom than the XR stem and its longer too.

I suggested a new stem b/c I didnt remember ever reading about anyone actually using the sleeve method successfully, just people saying it was an alternative. I'm interested to hear how Thumper's swap turns out.

A CR/CRF triple clamp was just installed on my bike, look here

For this bike, the stock stem was pressed out of the xr250 and installed in the new triples. The diameter of this stem is smaller than the CR - so yes, you will need to use XR steering stem bearings.

To get the new stem to fit into the bottom triple clamp a sleeve was machined and pressed into the bottom triple clamp - then the xr stem was pressed into this smaller hole...

For the top - a custom nut was machined which incorporated a spacer - the steering stem hole on the upper triple clamp is larger than the XR stem... I have a pic of it that my friend sent me.

jeff

Would it be better to order the triples made to fit the twin chambered forks and the XR steering stem from BRP or someone? That would seem like the best solution(most safe).

We used the BRP clamps that are made for the CRF250, I think they are same for CR250 and CRF450. All of the critical dimensions of this clamp are the same as the stock clamp on the CRF250 - you still need custom stem, custom collars, modified steering stops, etc.

jeff

a sleeve was machined and pressed into the bottom triple clamp - then the xr stem was pressed into this smaller hole...

For the top - a custom nut was machined which incorporated a spacer -

you still need custom stem, custom collars, modified steering stops, etc.

jeff

Sounds as if the stock xr stem will work right? The steering stops are easy, but what exactly is etc? Just trying to cover all the bases before dis-assembly to eliminate any suprises. Applied Design is going to call me back after the measurements for my request are reviewed for feasibility.

Sorry for the confusion. You actually have two ways to do it. My friend used method #1 on my bike, but will use method #2 for his bike.

#1 Use the stock XR stem, but it's a smaller diameter than the CR stem - so you have to machine a collar to press into the bottom clamp to fit. Given the extra thickness of the triple clamps - both bottom and top - you need to have the upper nut "reach down" into the triple clamp; A custom upper nut was machined to incorporate a collar. Given the complexity of this part (which my friend made for me for free) - you should just look at option #2 and I'll quit talking about this option!

#2 Machine a new stem that is the same diameter as the stock XR stem but is slightly longer. This stem will be the same dimensions as the CR stem where it fits into the bottom triple clamp, but the same diameter as the XR stem above that so that you can use the stock XR steering head bearings. The hole for the steering stem on the top triple clamp will be CR diameter, you need to sleeve this down to XR diameter (have a collar machined and pressed in).

For steering stops - my friend Les machined in some pockets into the triple clamps and machined up blocks that fit into these. The other option is to weld a tab onto the frame that is the same as the CR axle stop. Les didn't want to weld on the frame in this area - so he machined new stops into the bottom triple clamp instead.

Send me a PM with your e-mail and I'll send a bunch of photos of my bike and it's component parts as it came together.

jeff

Could you estimate how much longer the steering stem needed to be for your application?

Half inch? An inch?

- 7mm thicker on the lower clamp

- 6 mm thicker on the upper clamp

- 13mm total length increase needed (if you are using a BRP clamp).

jeff

I have a xr 440 with up side downs they were on the bike when i bought it they came of a cr 250 89 model looks like they slot right on no problems wicked bike,

Hi i have a XR440 myself wicked bike i have up side downs on mine they came off a CR250 89 model slot straight on no problems .

Hi Oregon Rider,

I too will be grafting on a complete 2006 CRF250 front end, so any pictures you have will be a great help.

Thanks, Nick.

n.tharme@ntlworld.com

What about other stuff, such as speedo drives, headlight units etc ?

A CR/CRF triple clamp was just installed on my bike, look here

For this bike, the stock stem was pressed out of the xr250 and installed in the new triples. The diameter of this stem is smaller than the CR - so yes, you will need to use XR steering stem bearings.

To get the new stem to fit into the bottom triple clamp a sleeve was machined and pressed into the bottom triple clamp - then the xr stem was pressed into this smaller hole...

For the top - a custom nut was machined which incorporated a spacer - the steering stem hole on the upper triple clamp is larger than the XR stem... I have a pic of it that my friend sent me.

jeff

DING DING! This is EXACTLY what the machinist did when I swapped cr250r forks on my xr400r. They made a sleeve for my xrs stem and pressed it into the cr's bottom clamp, then it all bolted up, I'm using my xrs caliper but the crs mounting bracket and it rides so much better.