Sign in to follow this  

What bike should I get for my son to race novice?

My son is soon to be 12 yrs old and is a gawky 5'9'' already (I'm 6'2") and growing. He has outgrown his KLX 125 4 stroke (too slow, too soft, & too heavy) after riding it the last two years on trails and MX tracks but with no racing. Now he would like to start racing as a novice in possibly MX and Florida Trail Riders Hare Scramble Events and it is time for his next bike.

The problem is he is a 'tweener'. He seems to be too big for an 85cc. 125cc or 250F seems to be too big. Can he be eligible for MX and Hare Scramble races as a novice with, say, a KX100? Or should he get a 85cc big wheel but then outgrow it in six months? Or maybe grow into a 125cc, but not be able to start racing due to the stiff competition? Please help me out, here. :banghead::applause:

Give the 125/250F a try, If he don't like it, then go for a big wheel 85. He's definitively big enough for a 250F, I'm about his height and 125lb. But he's big for his age! :banghead: As far as competition goes, did you actually check the competition or you're just assuming? Because beginner 125 in my region is not hardcore. But it vary for place to place.

What's his inseam? I'm 5'8" with a 30" inseam, and I fit on a 450 okay. I mean, you have to develop some habits about starting the bike and such, but I can do it without any step aids. You can also lower the bike at first by raising the fork tubes and easing off the rear preload. That will buy you an inch or so, as long as the handling is tolerable for the first few months of racing. If your son sits on a 250F with his left toe on the ground, can he kick the bike over with a little stretching? If so, it's time for a full-size bike, IMO. :banghead:

im 5'6" and i ride a 250F he should have no problem with one

Im 5'8" and ride a 450f. No probs. Check your local rules though cause here they cant ride 125 or 250f till they are 13 years old. So he will fit a 125 or 250f. But smaler bikes generally teach better riding technique than bigger bikes.

My son is in between 50cc and 65cc. Hes got his 65cc but I havent sold the 50cc yet cause the smaller bike is the one teaching him to ride properly, as when on the big bike kids tend to put around at 1/2 throttle and not move thier body position. Where as on the smaller bikes they tend to flog them to death.

:banghead: Thanks very much, guys. He already has a 31" inseam. I will check things out with Bithlo Motosports and Florida Trail Riders Assoc. and if he is allowed, I feel the same- he is ready for a 125 or 250f. Nothing wrong with starting out racing at the back of the pack, he'll learn soon enough. His technique is pretty good already so I'm not worried much at this point about it suffering too much on a big bike. That KLX has been pinned just about always. Thanks again! :applause:

Dang! Spoke with chairman of Florida Trail Riders Assoc. MX Division and my son needs to be a minimum of 13 yrs old to race MX or Hare Scrambles in 125 class. He can race an 85 big wheel in Super Minis only (he is a novice)!

'Tweener' indeed, with his height and age he may be stuck with dragging his knees on a clapped out 85cc for the next year or so! Or get a bike that fits him and hold off racing till Feb 2006.

why buy 2 bikes?? i would get him the 250F and have him ride it for a year then he will be all set for the racing. a year of riding under his belt will make him more confident for the races. im suer he could still go practice on it and ride the track while that year goes by! good luck

why buy 2 bikes?? i would get him the 250F and have him ride it for a year then he will be all set for the racing. a year of riding under his belt will make him more confident for the races. im suer he could still go practice on it and ride the track while that year goes by! good luck

Indeed... :banghead:

Get hime a 250f. I started riding my 250f when I was 12. Everybody said I wouldnt be good on it. Thats when I kicked Grown men but in the C-class. If you think a 250f is to big for him, cut the seat, and buy a Kouba link. THe kouba link lowers the bike by 1",2",3". Works very well.

Thanks guys! I'm glad I asked. 250F it is, and one year practice time will only help. He is not against it- because he really wants the bigger bike as well.

go with the 250f

I was 11 years old and like 5'7 or something like that when i went from an 80 to a 125. Its a tough switch at that height for sure but it will pay off for him in the long run.

i had a 03' klx 125 for 3 years. it was my 1st bike (i was 12 years old). last june i got a 05' kx250f and it is the perfect bike for me. right now. i'm 5'11 and weigh around 130 to 135lbs. 👍👍

i am 15 5'6 and 120 lbs and have rode a 250f for a year trust me he is plenty big. i didnt really learn much on my 80 just go straight to a 250f no 125s

How bout this? Get him a 125 2-stroke. Have him race Schoolboy 2-stroke(12-15). He can race this year also, he'll be up against even bikes and ages. The 125's wont change too much in the next 3-4 years, as most companies are concentrating on 4-strokes. It'll be tall and fast enough for his size. Also, there are benefits to riding a 125 2-stroke before moving to a 250f, thats why the AMA developed the 2-stroke only Schoolboy class for loretta's.