FAT TRACTION - 05/06 Sierra Nevada riding season OPEN!

1.2" of Rain in the foothills last night. I was at Georgetown at 7 am this morning, rode GT all alone in PERFECT CONDITIONs till like 9 am when I came back to say hi to boomer, Ranger Dennis pulls up to say hi, "you must have been here at dawn". I said yeah we got some good rain, I cloudn't past up the good dirt.

he let me know the trails are closed, we chatted a bit longer and he asked me to lock up the gate on my way out. BTW the new mega trail maps are out. The whole damn Tahoe and Eldorado Trail systems and roads shown on one double sided big foldout map. Very cool! Good from 2005 -07 it says, till they finish the trail designation EIR thing I guess.

So That rain was much bigger then we could have hoped. Major puddles everywhere at GT and all the ruts are water filled. Warm this week but even then won't be more then tire dust by the weekend, the big summer talc dust is History, with this big rain fall. The season is ON! get it while you can. C you on the trails

Riding early is where it's at

cause where I ride the traction's Fat. :banghead:

the gate was open when I got there. early bird gets the place to himself.

I can't ride wednesday, only thursday and friday.

I staged at mace mills. I wanted to go east, but since there was no cell phone reception to call in work, I had to ride over to darling ridge to make that morning call, then I rode most of DR, and also took the chance to explore some of the dirt jeep wide access trails, kinda learn my way around.

Pretty morning,

Very nice Bob. That's a way to take advantage of it, but I'm sorry to read you rode alone. Bad boy.

FYI, I lost a friend last weekend from a dirt bike accident. He was alone and went down. Early reports have his cause of death to be of internal bleeding where he was alive for at least four hours after the accident. No one was there to help him out and now he's gone. He was a great guy and an incredible rider. I'm sad he's gone and I will be sure to never ride alone just as I never have in the past. I wish I was with him that day because he'd surely be with us all today.

Very nice Bob. That's a way to take advantage of it, but I'm sorry to read you rode alone. Bad boy.

FYI, I lost a friend last weekend from a dirt bike accident. He was alone and went down. Early reports have his cause of death to be of internal bleeding where he was alive for at least four hours after the accident. No one was there to help him out and now he's gone. He was a great guy and an incredible rider. I'm sad he's gone and I will be sure to never ride alone just as I never have in the past. I wish I was with him that day because he'd surely be with us all today.

Jeez man thats terrible. Im sorry to hear about your friend.

I wonder when we get seperated in the dez about how if you fell out in the creasote bushes no one would ever find you. Think we will put a stop to that.

I’ve been working shift work for 25 years now so I’ve done a lot of stuff alone during the week, dirt bike riding being one of them. We did not have the luxury of the internet way back when to find riders to ride with. I do not recommend riding alone but if it’s between never riding and riding alone, I ride alone because I guess I always have. If that’s the way he has me going out, I’m OK with it. To each his own.

Places to find riding buddies:

https://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=120

http://ktmtalk.com/index.php?showforum=29

http://dirtrider.net/forums3/forumdisplay.php?f=10

http://www.ama-d36.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&f=38&page=1&pp=20&sort=lastpost&order=desc&daysprune=-1

http://bayarearidersforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?forumid=63

I do not recommend riding alone but if it’s between never riding and riding alone, I ride alone because I guess I always have. If that’s the way he has me going out, I’m OK with it. To each his own.

I'm with you on this one, well said. :banghead:

I try to find someone to ride with, and sometimes when I can't find anyone I just decide to stay home, but sometimes I do go solo. TT has helped a lot on this, so my solo rides are few and far between, but I'll still do it every once in a while. :applause:

:banghead: Ret,

Thanks for the info & links! :applause:

We all ride alone when we have to. Just be careful out there! ?

TT is still the best! Who else can boast to have a bigbob!? Everynow & then I go to the uncharted territory of Town Hall & I'm blown away! Thumpettes!? ?

This is it! ?

Not to promote riding alone, but.... I must be damned lucky to not be dead after all the times I've ridden alone. I used to cut school and ride my dad's DT1, and shortly after that my own XL250, from home in Granite Bay to Lake Tahoe and other Sierra destinations via various routes of questionable legality and unquestionable hazard. Even got bit by a rattlesnake once. Luckily it only got my pant leg and not any meat. Never once did I get stranded or seriously injured. Must be the work of a guardian angel or something. I am part redskin, so maybe the "great spirit" has my back? For whatever reason, it doesn't bother me to be alone in the woods. I feel a lot safer there than I would alone in South Central.

YZWiley

So sorry to hear about your buddy !! That is really tragic - thats for sure.

I used to ride by myself but I started over thinking things while I was out there - like , I better slow down and ride more carefully. Well as we all know thats when you start messing up and crashing - instead of just riding your pace !!.....................I don't do it any more.

Well the only time I do now is when I ride at Metcalf for conditioning and bike testing - it's a small place and I feel OK with riding there.

dp :banghead: