Sign in to follow this  

Be Careful Not to Overtighten Shrouds

I just installed my new IMS tank on my 450X. The install should have taken about 10 minutes. Unfortunately, the shroud bolts must have been over-tightened on the stock tank. Two of the nuts that are recessed into the plastic on the stock tank had come loose in the plastic, and spun when I tried to loosen the bolts. They weren't stripped, then just loosened up enough to spin in the plastic, making it nearly impossible to remove. I ended up having to cut around the washer on the shroud with a utility knife. Took about an hour and partially ruined the stock tank and shrouds. Anyone else had a problem with these?

Yes I had the exact problem with my 05 450R. The guy that had it before must have overtightened them alittle. When I tryed to remove the shrouds to install radiator braces I had the same problem with the right top bolt. Mine however would not come lose, I cut the shroud off. But there was no way to hold the insert, it just kept spinning in the tank. I ended up pulling it out of the tank, the bolt was not that tight. The tanks are junk. I cut the hole out (not the whole way through) and pressed the insert back in with alot of JB weld on it. It is fine now, but ya be carefull. It seems like the bolt is exact in length so it binds on the bottom of the thread and at the washer area of the bolt. Still it should not break the mold around the insert. Good luck getting Honda to replace it though.

There have been other posts about this. Here's a couple things I do to make sure this doesn't happen:

1) I always leave the shrouds on the tank when I pull the tank off. It's faster, and makes it less likely you'll do some damage to the nut inserts in the tank.

2) I put Honda Lock blue on all bolts holding plastic on the bike. They are less likely to seize or come out from vibration. I also put it on the rear axle adjuster bolts where they go into the swingarm so they won't seize. Been there before and I never want to do that again.

As stated above, it seems to be a common problem, as there have been a number of posts on this. On my '05, I tryed to take the shrouds off after only having gotten the bike from the dealer three days earlier, so they must have overtightened them at the factory or dealer level. I ended up being able to take a small drill bit, being careful not to drill to deep, and drill out the seized bolts. Now, a tiny smear of grease on the ends of the bolts, and I have not had any other issues (knock on wood).

same problem here, got them out with an inpact and srew drivers. I wsa very upset, but over it now.

I had the same issue on a brand new '05 CRF 450 R. I took back to the dealer at his request. I left the bike there to be fixed under Hondas' good faith repair. I went back a week later and the service guy wheels my bike out, puts an impact to the stripped bolt spins it and says "Yep, it's stripped." Then he hands me a brand new gas tank and has the balls to ask me to return the stripped out gas tank. I live 1 hour fifteen minutes from the dealer. He never checked it until the new tank was there. If he wanted the old tank back he should've done it himself. He wasted 5 hours of my time driving. That alone would have covered the cost of the new tank.

i always use a t handle or a nut driver to help keep me from putting to much torque on small bolts like that. or if i dont have one handy i just twist the ratchet with my fingers instead of my whole hand and i havent stripped one since i had my 80 a few years ago.

What I do w/ bikes is just pull the shroud bolts is pull them out, red loctite and like Joe said just leave them alone, even when u pull the tank.

Steel bolts in brass inserts have a tendency to get stuck, because of the unlike metals. You have to soak them in Liquid wrench, or even LP-1 the first time you remove them. Then, use anti sieze, or Locktite blue, and undertighten.

If you think the tank bolts are tough, wait till your Swingarm axle tension bolts sieze into the swingarm; IT WILL HAPPEN if you don't remove them now, and install anti sieze. Squirting WD-40 on them won't help.

This threaded insert problem has been going on since my 1972 DKW Hornet; all racing bikes must be disassembled after purchasing them, so the mating surfaces can be properly prepared (grease, anti-sieze, whatever).

Frozen bolts are the order of the day, if you don't.

I had this same problem with my 05, the top right shroud bolt was siezed in the tank insert from the day I bought it. When I got my 06, as soon as I got it home, I tried to remove the shroud bolts for some anti seze treatment and found that the exact same upper right bolt was seized in the insert. Very aggravating.