Sign in to follow this  

Yosh vs FMF

I ended up w/a Full FMF system because I found a deal on a PowerCoreIV on ebay. I later purchased a new FMF Powerbomb header which is the more expensive SS header FMF makes for this bike.

If I had it to do over again I would go w/a Full yosh system which would have cost about the same money(for new).

Whats considered a better system? Should I put my FMF system on ebay and get a Yosh? Is the little "bomb" section of my header really what they claim or just a way to get more money?

the bomb, according to fmf marketing, is a pre-muffler, allowing for the performance of a loud pipe but without the noise. the bomb, interestingly, is at just the right distance from the valve face to act as a resonnance chamber at around 7-8000 rpm, thereby also improving axhaust scavenging by amplifying the negative pressure pulse just before the valve closes at that rpm. It is really too small to be effective as a resonnance chamber though, and therefore the marketing dept probably changed the focus of their efforts.

i would keep what you got.they are all preety good but you also got to remember who developed the motor on the drz.it was yosh ,so wouldn't you think that a yosh pipe would be best?i'm running a yosh and it works real well.but i think any aftermarket pipe would work well

Yosh did not develop the drz motor, they assisted in it's development. I have an article that decribes their role they played, I'll look for it later today.

Yosh did not develop the drz motor, they assisted in it's development. I have an article that decribes their role they played, I'll look for it later today.

ok mabey i heard wrong but if they assisted then they still are ahead of the comp in pipe development right?

ok mabey i heard wrong but if they assisted then they still are ahead of the comp in pipe development right?

Not on an engine this old, any advantage they had in developement has been negated within the first couple of years at most.

I'm just not a fan of "yosh as the holy performance grail" idea. They make a great exhaust system, in fact they make two. However as a company they leave something to be desired, buy their engine kit and to replace the rings you have to buy a new piston as well. They want close to 3/4 the cost of a full system for just a replacement mid pipe on their exhaust. For a long time couldn't buy their cdi without buying the whole kit even though they used shims to increase the preload on the valve springs instead of replacing with dual wound springs. Then when they do start to sell their cdi's they've changed sources and those have developed issues. Who is dealing with those issues? The company that produces them is stepping up on it's own to figure it out, where is yosh here???

If you ride on the street then the yosh ti pipe is supposedly the best. Once you get into the stainless market I believe that the muzzy doesn't give anything up to the yosh. The development and manufacture is done here is in the US. When you crash and actually crack the mount on a pipe that is well over a year old and no longer under warranty, they don't try to sell you a new midpipe for an exorbent amount. Instead they say send it in and we'll fix it, no charge. You get your piece back again and it looks almost new because they buffed it out.

<<they don't try to sell you a new midpipe for an exorbent amount. Instead they say send it in and we'll fix it, no charge. You get your piece back again and it looks almost new >> that is worth buying -- far more than a couple of hp or a few grams of weight regardless of price.