Sign in to follow this  

2006 CRF450R, To revalve or not...

I know, another stupid question. I weigh 160 lbs. and ride motocross and race cross country. Skill level is intermediate. Is there any advantage to revalving the suspension on this bike or should I just replace the rear spring and play with the clickers. If I have the suspension revalved for cross country, will it hurt it's motocross ability? Thanks in advance.

I know, another stupid question. I weigh 160 lbs. and ride motocross and race cross country. Skill level is intermediate. Is there any advantage to revalving the suspension on this bike or should I just replace the rear spring and play with the clickers. If I have the suspension revalved for cross country, will it hurt it's motocross ability? Thanks in advance.

Generally speaking, either suspension is setup for Motocross, Supercross, or off-road.

Your bike is a CRF250R, so it's set up for Motocross. It's valved to meet the needs of a WIDE range of riders of different weight and skill levels. Thus, the stock suspension isn't ideal for any ONE rider.

I've been down this road with many bikes. The solution that works best for me is to have the suspension, front and rear, re-valved for my weight and skill level using a Motocross setup. This way I can still moto and if off-road use is needed I just go way softer on the compression and speed up the rebound a little.

Use one of the many spring rate charts on-line to determin and insure you're using the correct spring rate's for your weight. This is crucial.

edited: Should have said, " Your bike is a CRF450R..." Sorry!

Go with RG3 for a complete revalve respring. You'll be glad you did. Totally worth the cash, and it's like a whole new bike let me tell you.

Chas

Factory Connection received my stuff today and it's already back on its way back home. Cost was 660.00 to revalve both ends and replace the rear spring. Will update you guys after the test ride this weekend!

BTW. I spoke to Steve Ross there and they ended up putting a WORCS type setup on the suspension. I originally was going for cross-country, but a few races that I am going to are half MX, half CC. Hopefully it will be dialed.

What rear spring rate did they change to? I am also 160lbs.

Thanks