Sign in to follow this  

Welding a Titanium Header

Check your local welding/machine shops.......anyone with a tig welding rig should be able to handle it for you.

Check your local welding/machine shops.......anyone with a tig welding rig should be able to handle it for you.

Are you saying Tungsten wire will weld titanium properly?

Tungsten isn't a wire you use to tig weld, its the electrode. It takes skill but since you're probly not taking your bike to the moon any tig welder can handle it without extra precautions, but its probably not gonna be very cheap.

Very few welding shops are proprely set up to weld titanium. I found a local bicycle builder that specializes in Ti to weld a hole in a friend's header. Expect $75 minimum for a small job like that.

Make sure it's real clean and it should be purged (back gassed) to make a stronger weld make sure they use correct filler rod, probably for type 2 ti.

You need titanium filler rod as well as an arrangement to purge the inside of the pipe as well as the outside. This is the proper method even for stainless steel pipes. Burns Stainless in Costa Mesa (www.burnsstainless.com) has the correct set-up and if they won't repair it then they should know who can. If you have no luck with them, contact Wyatt from the tig depot and ask him about a customer in the area that can do it properly. He lived in socal for a while until he moved not too long ago so he probably knows someone. www.tigdepot.com

Granted I've never done it, but I was under the impression that purging the area with gas was only necessary on parts that were going to be pushed to the limit, like aerospace equipment, hence my "taking your bike to the moon comment."

I had a hole in my header pipe, and we tried to get it welded with ti filler at the local welding shop... it just kept falling apart... the only thing that saved my pipe was an old valve stem from my Yamaha valves... just melted it down onto the pipe... still together today, after about 6 months...

Then you could use a piece of old russian railroad for filler. I know a guy with an old works BSA that used to do that, he still wins his class.

Shielding is the key, I use a special shielding tent that is filled with Argon and even go to the trouble to backfill and tape off the tube in the tent - works very well. When you achieve a proper Ti weld it should be silver in color with no blackness (oxidation). Good luck, DrHP in Oregon

DrHP, these people don't need to know what works, they WANT to know some easy make-shift way to do things. Like TV dinners and the such.