Sign in to follow this  

KX450....The final word

I have back racing year round since 2000. I began my second incarnation as a Motocrosser on the YZ426 as I saw 4-strokes to be the future, and I wanted to get used the different riding style they require. Raced the 05 YZ450, then the 04 CRF450, and now the 05 CRF450 (I find it to handle very poorly btw).

It seems to me that all the bikes will be very competitive in 06, or can be made to be so. As I like to replace my equipment every year in order to minimize the depreciation I have to incur, there are other factors to choosing the machine you race. Casual or recreational riders are a different matter all together and have different selection criteria. For instance lets look at available "Contingency" for each brand shall we? Here is how it breaks down for my little area of the country:

Total contingency available for a season, * equals the brand let's you collect for 2 classes on a single vin.

*Kawasaki = 9,000

*Suzuki = 5,700

Honda = 1,800

Yamaha = 1,100

I personally like Kawasaki and already have the 06 250F. I am just waiting for the KX450F to get to my dealer. It just nice that it does not have to be a hard decsion...the bike I like that is beautiful and will be competative, and oh yeah...the best contingency available.

I'm ready....or I hope I'm ready. Even Honda knows their 05 did not handle well, everything they did involved making the front end track better. Still, let's stay FOCUSED everyone on the KX450F!

Kawi has always had great contingancy...They take care of the Am's. always have...thats why Team Green breeds champions.

check out the first impressions by Dirt Rider and RacerX online. Talked to my dealer today and they got invoiced for the shop manual today which typically means getting the bike within a week.

I have not been this excited to get a bike in a while and I have had:

01-426

02-426

03-YZ450F

04-CRF450

05-CRF450

06KX250F

and soooooooon the 450

The 05 Honda 450 doesn't handle well? Then you can't ride at all. the 06 Honda and 05 Honda can barely if at all be differentiated. It even says that in your precious magazines.

The 05 crf 450 "Handles" VERY well!!! BUT, it does have some flaws. Mainly its ability to turn well on flat tight corners. Some riders have no problem, but others think it needed a little help. Personaly for me, I had to install offset clamps (756RR tire) and fine tune the syspension, but it still did'nt turn in like a rmz would. I am very interested in all the new 06 450's. I Think they will all have there own streghtns and maybe some other color than red will be in my garage. Troy 140

Ok, so now we are hearing from the red contingent. I raced the 04 and 05 CRF450 because it was the best 450 available (with losey contingency btw). The 04 was predictable in its front end push and desire to stand up a bit in corners, but was very stable. The 05 with the new offsets from Honda made the front end nervous, still pushed a little, and it still wanted to stand up a bit. I am not saying that the bikes were bad, just that if you are a racer who rides forward over the front end, these problems exist, and it can be a scary proposition.

Not all riders/racers experience this, for many reasons which I will not elaborate on at this point. You should not presume to judge my, or anyone elses racing/riding abilities because you do not like what you hear about your favorite bike. I happen to be one of the fortunate people who are sensative to bike setups, and as such ride for two after market suspension tuners to develop their shim stacks.

Everything that Honda did to the 06 450, including new cases, was to drop the center of gravity on the front end to eliminate the front end issues that they are having, and that is a lot of effort to go through for nothing (so contimplate that). From the early test info from the mag, it would appear that they were not completely successful, as they still think that the Zuk handle better.

Come with facts, or don't come at all. This should be a logical discussion and not an emotional one.

my brother has the 06crf450 it handles a little better but yeah i agree Dominic

I don't think that handling is one of the KX's strong suits, so "logically" the kxf shouldn't handle well either. In the new MXA they said that the 2006 kx250 is a bad handling bike. Hopefully this won't carry over to the new 450, Dominic.

You know what would be great? If all the engineers from all the factories got together and each of them added their strength to one bike. Just imagine what you'd get. But no matter what though there would still be those out there that disliked this or disliked that. I really hope Kawasaki does well with this 450. I've owned some Kawi's and my last one, my 250 two stroke, was a great bike. And yes, my take on the Honda is I love it. It works for me and I can ride it better than any bike I've ridden so that's all the matters to me.

I can't wait to see how the KXF stacks up to all the other bikes though, and with the YZF redesigning it's entire package it's going to be interesting. :banghead:

johntt4,

I too hope that the KX450 does not suffer from front end push. More importantly I hope that if it does, that it can be fixed with suspension tuning and/or offset.

With the weight and power of the 450,s, the front end handling is more critical than on the 250F's, so I hope that it does not exhibit any drastic tendencies.

I know that I struggled with my 05 CRF450 for a year and never could get it to go completely away. I loved the Motor, but I would rather have front end handling and have to tune the motor, than the other way around.

btw - I am looking forward to the 4 speed, assuming the motor pulls like everyone has been indicating. -Dominic

I don't think that handling is one of the KX's strong suits, so "logically" the kxf shouldn't handle well either. In the new MXA they said that the 2006 kx250 is a bad handling bike. Hopefully this won't carry over to the new 450, Dominic.

the 06 KX250f is a bad handling bike? thats a load of crap!!! the bike handles awesome!!! and as far as magazine opinions, check out RacerX, Transworld, Cyclenews, Dirtrider, etc...not MXA, they are Kawi haters, they only love Yamahas no matter how shitty the bike is, they dont even have real test riders, just a bunch of old bags that live in the past [1970's] :banghead:

the 06 KX250f is a bad handling bike? thats a load of crap!!! the bike handles awesome!!! and as far as magazine opinions, check out RacerX, Transworld, Cyclenews, Dirtrider, etc...not MXA, they are Kawi haters, they only love Yamahas no matter how shitty the bike is, they dont even have real test riders, just a bunch of old bags that live in the past [1970's] :banghead:

Oh oh, I think someone blew a gasket.... 🤣. I think Dominic said the KX250, not the KXF. Who, knows, maybe he was referring to the KXF250. I hope MXA is wrong. When they reviewed my KX they said it turned like a tank, and it did. They also said that it had poor brakes, and it did. I'm sure that anybody can say that MXA is bias towards their brand of bike because of one thing or another. But just like in this forum, they are pretty much rider's opinions of the bikes in those shootouts, if the bike works for you who cares? :banghead:

Oh oh, I think someone blew a gasket.... :banghead:. I think Dominic said the KX250, not the KXF. Who, knows, maybe he was referring to the KXF250. I hope MXA is wrong. When they reviewed my KX they said it turned like a tank, and it did. They also said that it had poor brakes, and it did. I'm sure that anybody can say that MXA is bias towards their brand of bike because of one thing or another. But just like in this forum, they are pretty much rider's opinions of the bikes in those shootouts, if the bike works for you who cares? :banghead:

no blown gasket here, just my opinion. well if they were refering to the 06 KX 250, wrong again!! the bike handles fine. again, they are stuck on Yamaha and stupid

but like you said, if the bike works for you, who cares, I totaly agree

had the crf and im way more happeir with the new kx250f. no it doenst handle quite as well as a crf but for some reason i do so much better on it. and so far ive won every race on it :banghead:

Motomouth is a very good name for you. Now try using your eyes before opening your mouth. I typed kx250 not kxf250. The kx250 that I raced handled like shit, so can I now say that you are stupid ? No, because that's my opinion and you're entitled to yours.

Motomouth is a very good name for you. Now try using your eyes before opening your mouth. I typed kx250 not kxf250. The kx250 that I raced handled like shit, so can I now say that you are stupid ? No, because that's my opinion and you're entitled to yours.

and if you opened your eyes before opening your mouth, you would see that I corrected myself. you must be a pro or something, nothing is good enough for you except works bikes :banghead:🤣 or you are a die hard MXA fan :banghead: I think the 05 & 06 KX 250 handles very well🤣