Sign in to follow this  

crf150 surprisingly fun

Plan "A" = Buy my wife a 2005 crf150 and then me a 250 or 450 when her's is paid off to ride with her.

........unfortunatly, she's so damn short that she couldn't (or wouldn't) deal with the weight of the bike and couldnt kickstart the damn thing to save her life....(i had fun driving up a trail to find her walking and cussing out her bike).... figures the 2006 comes with an electric start.... so i had to go to make a Plan "B"

Plan "B" = Purchase my wife a Yamaha ttr125LE with the electric start and then ride the 150 long enough to get rid of it without loosing my shorts.

........ well surprisingly, its not that bad of a bike. She loves her little yamaha (though we'll probably end up making it faster later...big bore kit, exhaust, jets...etc.) The 150 seems to keep up with her just fine even with my fat ass on it. 6'1, 250. Granted i look a bit big on it, but i plan on getting some springs from BBR and then later maybe different bars, 428 chain, and exhaust. Its a fun little toy. Not sure if I'm going to go bigger or not. If i were to get a 250 or 450...... I'd just end up leaving the wife in the dust (not a good idea). :banghead:

I'd recommend this bike to anyone....just not short little wives who've never ridden before. :applause:

Plan "C".

Do the simple mods on the 150: remove intake snorkel, exhaust baffle and rejet. Ride for a season, put a set of new tires on it and give it back to your wife. Sell the TTR to cover part of the price of a CRF230 for you.

150's are notoriously hard to start when new and a "novice" trys to start them. I almost gave up on my wife ever starting her 150. :banghead: Properly jetted and a bit more broken in, she usually gets the 150 started in one kick (she's 5'3" and about 110 lb).

It has been mentioned in this forum that the TTR125 does not live long with big bore kits.

My $0.02

ya the 230 and the 150 are good together on a trail. when i got my 150 new it took me around 30 kicks to start the thing if i fell. u shoulda seen me cussin my bike up and down( just like ur wife i presume) even though i knew how to kick the bike it was IMPOSSIBLE! then i went paid for a rejetting, and total setup on my bike and said for them to have it start in one kick when flooded (or at least as close to possible to 1 kick). when i got it back it was such a good job that i swear i added an extra hp! the thing started in one or two kicks, and then when i fell (which i did alot of when i was learnin) it still started in about 3-4 kicks! i loved it! just an idea for u to do and get ur self a 230 :banghead:

dude 150's are suuuuuuuper hard to start new but mine i can litterally just drop my foot hot or cold and it starts piece of cake