Sign in to follow this  

Oil check...on stand or on tires

I just put my new rims on my 450x. It's awesome! But I noticed that the front drops a lot more than the rear does. With the front sitting that much lower do I still check the oil level on the ground or do I use a bike stand and check it. Reason I'm asking is that it takes more than the recomended amount of oil to get to the full line on the dipstick. I would assume that the dipstick is strategically placed for the optimum oil hight. Does that still apply with supermoto wheels. Thanks for any help. nastyDub

That's a good question. "My opinion" is put in what is recommended and take note of where it falls on the dip stick or put it on the stand in a level attitude and check it. What do stock X owners put in? The X has a dip stick? My general opinion about oil quantities is it's always better to have somewhat lower amount than to ever have any amount above what should be in there. Did I say that right???

Anyway, you've made me re-think about my bike. The book says 1.25 qt. but I always have to put 1.5 in (KTM450). I will check that today.