Sign in to follow this  

carb ? popping off idle

Just bought a slightly used '05 crf450 that "pops" right off idle. I wouldn't describe it as a full backfire. Is it lean or rich? I'm in florida where it is about 90. As far as i know the jetting is stock but has fingertip pilot adj. Thanks for any help.

It runs great other than that though.

popping is a lean condition. Try coming out on the fuel screw a little. check with burned on the jetting forum though. I am no expert.. also, check your rubber intake boot and exhaust for leaks. both of these can cause popping/lean.. you might check the carb. it might need a cleaning. the pilot could be a bit clogged. that was the case with mine.. pilot clogged, popping on decel and would not idle..

popping is a lean condition. Try coming out on the fuel screw a little. check with burned on the jetting forum though. I am no expert.. also, check your rubber intake boot and exhaust for leaks. both of these can cause popping/lean.. you might check the carb. it might need a cleaning. the pilot could be a bit clogged. that was the case with mine.. pilot clogged, popping on decel and would not idle..

Ditto.

Post a thread on the jetting forum for Burned. He's the man. :banghead: