Sign in to follow this  

Header Flange Nut Size?

I just got an '05 DRZ400S less than two weeks ago. Love it so far, though someone did a poor job assembling it. First a reflector came off (no biggie), then the screw for the front brake cable on the fork came off causing the cable cover to be sliced by the rotor. Now this morning on the way to work I had a loud pinging when letting off the throttle and a lot of popping ... I found the nuts are now missing from the exhaust pipe flange :banghead:

Does anyone know the size of these nuts so I can run to a hardware store tonight?

I'm taking it in for the first service in a couple of days but would like to keep riding it work in the meantime.

TIA

Not sure you could replace with normal nuts... there is so little room for tools in there, that the nuts are special internal Allen nuts. I'd go by the dealer and tell him your issue with the loose stuff...you should be able to get some nuts from him...and maybe a good going over by the mech before something serious comes loose and cost you body parts, and him insurance/lawsuit. At the least you'd be able to look at another bike and see what kind of nuts might fit... Andrew

...you!

:banghead:

dealer!

No problem, the thread is M8 (nuts & bolts).

The inner one (closest to the frame tube) is an M8 bolt, I used an M8 cap head bolt, the outer one is a special Allen head nut.

But not to worry there is plenty of room to use a standard M8 nut.

This is what I used when I fitted my new FMF header, as I have a thing about replacing all the bolts/nuts that I remove, with stainless steel ones.

Neil. :banghead::applause:🤣

Just about any new bike you have to keep an eye on everything intially or loctite it, my case it was the spokes, every ride they'd be loose, 4 like first ten rides, I hope they finally corroded and hold.

But the header bolts, mine have never wavered always been tight, THe seat bolts recieved a drop of loctite once , otherwise this bike has been above average on stuff loosening and the only out right failure was a stator at 20,000 miles , oh and the headlight bulb went out at 34,000 miles. AHHH! come to think the Buddy pegs fell off at 35,000.

My real b^^^^ , I can't get rear tires to hold up for 10 or 15,000 miles.

My real b^^^^ , I can't get rear tires to hold up for 10 or 15,000 miles.

If your rear tires hold up for 10 or 15,000 miles, you are either doing all your miles with the bike strapped to a trailer or your DRZ is producing about 10 BHP🤣

I have Avon Distanzia's on mine and they look as if they will be illegal by 4000 miles.

And that is all on the road.

Neil.

:banghead::applause:🤣

I've been running full out street tires, still only good for about 5,000 miles. I did some hill climbing with them too on sunday, worked great :banghead:

If your rear tires hold up for 10 or 15,000 miles, you are either doing all your miles with the bike strapped to a trailer or your DRZ is producing about 10 BHP🤣

I have Avon Distanzia's on mine and they look as if they will be illegal by 4000 miles.

And that is all on the road.

Neil.

this is off topic but, do your avons ever have a problem with tearing the tread in the center? my brother has them on his wr400 and it looks like someone took a claw hammer to them. just wondering. and no the tires are not balanced. thanks for any info.

this is off topic but, do your avons ever have a problem with tearing the tread in the center? my brother has them on his wr400 and it looks like someone took a claw hammer to them. just wondering. and no the tires are not balanced. thanks for any info.

Yep, that's what's killing the back one, if it spins up instead of launching a wheelie it loses chunks of rubber, I have tried all pressures from 20lb up to 36 lb. It seems to be as good as the Deathwings off-road but better on-road. So It's swings and roundabouts, but they are cheaper than the Deathwings.

The front is just falling prey to the front brake, Yes I do like the over size disc.

Neil.