Sign in to follow this  

Changing the shock spring... How do I do it?

I have a '03 ttr 125 lwe and I am thinking of getting a new shock spring. I want to know how to go about removing the old spring and putting in a new one. The point that makes me afraid of doing this is that I will have to remove the nitrogen gas. If I do have to de pressurize the system... could I get it recharged? Please help. Thanks in advance

Muddy

first loosen the preload locking nut at the top of the shock, then loosen the preload nut off so the shock spring is really loose. in fact screw them right off. at the bottom of the shock there is a plate or two which holds the bottom of the spring on to the shock. rotate them around and you will notice that they have slots in them. line the slots up and remove the plates. slide the spring off the bottom off the shock. slide the new spring on, and reverse the order of disassembly.

:banghead::applause:🤣

Thanks for the help. I forgot to ask... Can you change the front springs without removing oil/breaking the seals?

i was able to but mine is only a (L) modle

i was able to but mine is only a (L) modle

Uhhh why would the LE (same model as the L just electric start) have different forks???!???

Just a thought....

Uhhh why would the LE (same model as the L just electric start) have different forks???!???

Just a thought....

They don't :banghead:

the le has ajustable forks that means the caps are different.
yeah the rear is also diffrent isnt it...has preload thing or something

The 125 E (small wheel) is the one that has an adjustable rear shock. The L doesn't. The fronts forks have to be a lil different just b/c of the disk brake.

The 125 E (small wheel) is the one that has an adjustable rear shock. The L doesn't.
mine you can adjust with the 2 nut things...the le has a reservoir or something???

mine you can adjust with the 2 nut things...the le has a reservoir or something???

Do you have the L model? Ya the reservoir for the brakes and the shock might have one.

To settle this... The TT-R 125 LWET has a rear shock resovwar, pre load, rebound adjusment, and dampening adjustment. The front forks only have preload adjustment. This bike is an '03 model.

UPDATE: The rear spring installation was a complete and total sucess. I went riding on it this weekend and it was night and day difference.

To settle this... The TT-R 125 LWET has a rear shock resovwar, pre load, rebound adjusment, and dampening adjustment. The front forks only have preload adjustment. This bike is an '03 model.

UPDATE: The rear spring installation was a complete and total sucess. I went riding on it this weekend and it was night and day difference.

Cool. Also.. My dealer told me you couldn't adjust the preload and dampening on the L model. Thats why I was saying that.