SM Setup for S or Buy Ninja 250?

You might be able to find an EX500 for about the same price.

The 250 is a tiny bike. There is something to be said for winding a bike out to 14,000 rpm and not breaking the speed limit though. I would look for an EX500. Lots of them around in various condition to suit your penny pinching price range :banghead:

Ive only tested a ninga 500 against my S model , and the ninga has more top end, but when stuff getting nasty the NInga doesn't have the suspension capablity of a well set up Street DRZ. IMO

the ninga 250, you'll just have no power below 8,000 rpm , like a 125 2 smoke

my girl had a 2003 ninja 250. did every thing in my power to get that turd to crack 55 mph other then jump that green booger into grand canyon. if it was $7.00 dollars I would buy it and set it on fire. $700 , that guy is smokin' crack.

A Ninja 250 is pretty fun actually, and besides a lack of power handles and rides very well. I had a blast on mine at Mid-Ohio. I miss riding mine. In some ways it feels lighter than my DRZ because the weight is significantly lower to the ground, even though it is probably about 10 lbs heavier overall.

That said, my DRZ is more fun. I would say go with the SM setup. You also avoid extra insurance and registration costs.

I'm not sure that's the best deal, though. I got a 2001 with 7200 miles, cosmetic damage and a salvage title for $1,000. That one you're looking at should be in very good condition to command $700.

A Ninja 250 is pretty fun actually, and besides a lack of power handles and rides very well. I had a blast on mine at Mid-Ohio. I miss riding mine. In some ways it feels lighter than my DRZ because the weight is significantly lower to the ground, even though it is probably about 10 lbs heavier overall.

That said, my DRZ is more fun. I would say go with the SM setup. You also avoid extra insurance and registration costs.

I'm not sure that's the best deal, though. I got a 2001 with 7200 miles, cosmetic damage and a salvage title for $1,000. That one you're looking at should be in very good condition to command $700.

dude, the 250 scales in at 306# dry. the drz, 295#. then the 250 has a claimed 29 hp by kawi service manual. do the math man! :banghead:

the 250 ninja is one of the biggest POS ever made.

Please explain the POS...I was planning on buying one for commuting to work when I come back to the States...I had a GPZ305 back in the '80s which was quite good. I'm looking for a cheap commuter that can go highway speeds...That's all...From reports I've read it gets 60m.p.g. and will top out around 100m.p.h. I know my GPZ305 would do 105m.p.h. So I'm assuming tht with a newer technology machine it would do at least as well as the GPZ305...So do you mean it's unreliable? Because I'm not purchasing it do knee dragging or do wheelies...

i've had both....put over 10K miles on a ninja250 before upgrading to my 600rr, and then 6 months later got the DRZ and sm setup for it.

The drz is quicker, but my ninja was faster and cornered -very- well. I had progressive fork springs and a zx-6 shock in the rear along with a properly jetted carb and k&n pod filters. Coupled with some good pirelli tires or dunlop gt501's (thats what I ran)... it was quite a good machine and I would routinely pass guys on much larger bikes (R1, TL 1000) in the corners much to their dismay.

I'm about 5'10", 155 lbs...and if i would tuck down I could get the ninja over 110 with a little coaxing, and it would go faster than that. I paid $1200 for mine when i got it, it was a 2000 model with 1800 miles. It did indeed get close to 60 miles/gallon. All I ever did was change the oil, no maintenence or anything other than that.