Sign in to follow this  

05 kxf losing oil out breather

My 2005 KXF250 is leaking a reasonably serious amount of oil out of the breather hose. Does anyone know why it would be doing this?

Mine just did the same thing about a week or two ago. Does it seem to have lost any power, or hard to start. What probably has happend is that your piston has cracked and the compression is forcing the oil out of the bottom end. It will spew alittle out if overfull.

maybe he simply just overfilled it and the oil is spewing out?

Or like the man said this could commonly be put down to a cracked piston?

cracked piston or to much oil, it could be a leaky waterpump seal or gasket that lets the rad fluid into the crank, but then the oil would be a cloudy grey color

I am pretty sure it is not because it is overfull, as it has been going down below the low-level mark if I ride it after topping it up. It shouldn't be the piston as it is only 10 hours old and the bike is running and starting fine. A mate thought it might be the valve seals.

I'd bet its because its a little overfilled.........Mine would do the same if I filled it even a little too much. It also did it if I started it on the triangle stand leaning to the left.

Stay to the low mark on the sight glass when you fill it.

dude, try your best not too use them sight glasses.

Measure out the exact correct amount of oil 1300 or 1350 if changed the filter.

Dump all the old oil and start a fresh rather than "Topping up", and put in the fresh oil that you will 'perfectly' measure.

dude, try your best not too use them sight glasses.

Measure out the exact correct amount of oil 1300 or 1350 if changed the filter.

Dump all the old oil and start a fresh rather than "Topping up", and put in the fresh oil that you will 'perfectly' measure.

the sight glass is usefull if used correctly. to check the oil, the bike needs to be warm. after warming it up, let it sit a minute, then take it OFF THE STAND and make sure the bike is level. The oil level should be at the lower mark on the glass. This has always been OK for me. Most people are used to just lookin through the glass with the bike cold or while its on the stand.

The bike is definately losing oil- and I am sure it is not because it is overfilled. I think that it is being caused by the transmission being under compression. I am wanting to know what is causing this.

The bike is definately losing oil- and I am sure it is not because it is overfilled. I think that it is being caused by the transmission being under compression. I am wanting to know what is causing this.

pull the motor...do a pressure test