Sign in to follow this  

xr 200 for girlfriend?

G'day everyone, im from the blue side, but was wondering about getting an xr 200 or 250 for my girlfriend, shes about 5ft 5 and weighs about 65kg

shes just beginning, can anyone tell me the major differences between the 200 and 250? powerwise, height, handling, reliability?

cheers - Brett

We got my girl a 200 a few months ago, and she loves it. Enough power without being too much for her. I actually rode it for a trip when my bike was in the shop, and did pretty good, even for me (200lbs). Sounds like your girl and mine are about the same size. One big reason that my girlfriend likes the 200 over the 250 is the height of the seat. The 200 sits a bit lower (3-4 inches I think) than the 250, and for her, it was the selling point. She is able to touch the ground with both feet while sitting on the bike. I know the 200 is lighter than the 250 as well, about 20 lbs. Not much, but I guess every bit helps. Check out www.bikez.com and do a search to find out more info.

For the Record....

Girlfriends are supposed to buy Boyfriends Xr 200's and 250's...

At least that's how it is in TEXAS....

LOL

I'm from the Red Side, but here at TT aren't we all from basically on the same side anyway? Two wheels right?

Anyway, I just bought my wife a TTR125LE. It's pretty beginner proof. Electric start, choke on the handlebars, and easy to use power. Plus it's a fun pit bike. My wife is 5'5" and about 115 lbs. She's done a great job learning on it.

She did try to ride one of her friends XR200 when she first started but the bike was to heavy for her.

My wife could not handle the XR200. She found a street legal XR-100 and loves it.

Picks-up easily when it crashes and is not hard to start.

(tried to get her to the TTR-125 electric start, but she wanted the "light" XR100 that she could push off of herself when she falls.)

We do mostly two-track dual sport.

It will get to 45mph (slowly) all we need.

And no, I didn't really have anything to say about the choice!

Good Luck!

This is the perfect thread to reply. I bought my girl friend a new crf100f less than a week ago. She's 5'-1" and 100lb. She loves it. Its light enough for her to handle with plenty of power for a light weight beginner. She can't quite touch flat foot, height is perfect. XR200 may be too heavy for your girl if shes a beginner, she'd probably have more fun on something smaller and lighter.

I bought my wife a XR200, and she rides the hell out of it. It's easy to start, fairly light, and has a easy to powerband. The only problem is finding aftermarket parts. You could try a CRF230, if electric start is your thing. Might have to shave the seat though.

tell me the major differences between the 200 and 250? powerwise, height, handling, reliability?

Power; the 200 has plenty of power for the trails and dirt roads and is more learner friendly. The 250 has much more power plus if you ever need to get in high gear and ride pavement between sections the 250 motor is much smoother and happier.

Height; big difference here. The XR250 is a serious dirt bike and therefore will seem tall for a 5'-5" beginner but if she can get past the learner stage then she will have no need to upgrade in near future. The newer 200s were lowered by factory and would be much easier to learn on. My 5'-4" daughter has ridden a taller 1987 200 since buying it new and she prefers this over the much taller 250s in the rough.

Handling; Well as beginner or experienced? The 200 will handle better for the first timer but if she likes this sport she will probably quickly want to advance to the great handling 250.

Reliability; No difference. Change oil and keep air filter clean and they will both outlast any beginner. The dry sump, large oil capacity, and oil filter of the 250 would seem to make it more reliable but we have not been able to wear out the wet sump no oil filter 200 in 18 years of trying.

Summery; I really like the idea of getting an XR100 for her to learn on and then decide where to go from there based on how she does. If you have the garage space the 100 often becomes a pit/camp bike that you never sell. If you do sell you won't lose much.

i got and 1990 xr 200 and my dad has a 1990 xr 250 my bike a lot lighter and easier to handle the only thing is that it has very high compression and it would be hard for her to kickstart if i were u i would try to find one with electic start unless see can kick it over