Sign in to follow this  

Nice rack !

I was bored this weekend so I decided to build a rack for my S. I've always liked the idea of having some handles on the rear to move and pick up the bike so I added some to the rack. Here are some pics with the basic design, I must still dress the weld and do some finishing off work as I only have access to a arc welder and a hacksaw :banghead:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v640/SuzDRZ/DSCF4050.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v640/SuzDRZ/DSCF4043.jpg

I'll have to test it properly this weekend :applause:

Nice work! That thing will carry a tent and a lot of beer :banghead:

Wonderful! It sure is great to be able to do things like that. You can now spend the money that was saved on other DR-Z goodies instead!

TZ.

Thanks guys ! It's not perfect like a billet aluminum rack but it will do it's job. Once it's powdercoated it will be good to go.

That thing is beefy lookin :banghead: You can't always pick yourself apart on the prototype. If you were to make a few more you would learn the tricks and they would start turning out better and better.That thing looks plenty good to me to take out and get some African mud all over it. Nice work 🤣:applause:

I really like your design. I would want it to be easily removable though. That thing looks like it could bust my spine or my a$$ if I got a little careless while riding aggressive offroad. So I would remove it once setting up camp and going to really ride.

Good work!

I looked at various ways to mount it. I found the seat and rear fender bolts to work best. I've seen people using the holes under the fender on the subframe as well but it would make it more bulky. To remove the rack you have to remove the seat and two 6mm bolts, it will take about 5 min but for the riding I do I'll keep it on anyway, I'm slow plus there is usually some wildlife to see along the trail :banghead:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v640/SuzDRZ/DSCF4029.jpg

I looked at various ways to mount it. I found the seat and rear fender bolts to work best. I've seen people using the holes under the fender on the subframe as well but it would make it more bulky. To remove the rack you have to remove the seat and two 6mm bolts, it will take about 5 min but for the riding I do I'll keep it on anyway, I'm slow plus there is usually some wildlife to see along the trail 🤣

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v640/SuzDRZ/DSCF4029.jpg

You gotta love it :banghead: I'm lucky to see a deer or a grouse . Although I am Glad I don't have to worry about being lunch when I stop for lunch. :applause:

yeah that does look pretty sweet as far as powder coating I saw sears now offers a powder coat gun set up for ~$150

I did not have a bender handy so to bend the square tubing I put a piece of square inside of the tubing and bent it that way, then I just cut the tubing on both sides of the bend and welded to the rest of the racks framework. Not ideal and far from perfect but it looks ok, this rack was built on a budget :banghead: It's damn strong though !

Looks good to me, and I like the idea of having the handles to help drag the bike about.

You've got me thinking now, I may have a go myself :applause:

I have been looking at all the racks available, and most are very nice,

but the lack of money is holding me back.

Has anybody seen the new grab handle that is now on offer from Suzuki.

Suzuki Accessories

Neil.

:banghead:🤣🤣