Sign in to follow this  

Shocking Situation!

Having some problems installing the new spring on the shock. I'm not sure how the new pieces go on and what old piece gets saved and re-used. Also how the washers sit.

Anyone else install the eibach on their 650? I thought I had it figured out and then had an accident in the garage that caused me to walk away from the bike for several hours and when I returned it was like I had the hard drive with that information on it wiped from my brain. Stitches will do that. :-(

Anyway, is there a link that shows pictures of the installation rather than the written instructions that came with the kit and that are also on the Koubalink site? I'm feeling pretty lame that I cannot figure out the placement of the components.

Brian: Yes, it's much easier removing the airbox and doing it that way. Would have saved major skin, anyway. ;-)

I'm not sure if it's any different than the stock setup as far as reassembly goes, but if it's the same you can go over to Pete's 650 forum and look at the manual he has in PDF format which will show you how to put everything back in the stock locations except with the new spring instead of the stocker.

I have the manual. Just was hoping there were pictures somewhere of the install. The instructions are a bit vague. At least one stock piece is supposed to be left off and replaced by a piece in the kit. I know which one just don't know orientation, etc. I'll check it out this evening after work. Working on the bike with one hand is a bummer. Thinking the bike is going to go over again is worse. I'll probably just wait for my new stand from Harbor Freight to get here in a day or two.

No worries. ;-)

when i flipped the collar on my shock to get more preload adjustment, i took off the thin metal tab type deal that was round and it had some type of handle like shape that was perpandicular to the top round piece. I'm assuming that is the piece to be left off. Also, is the new spring the same diameter as the old? or is it one of the skinny springs where you need the adapter to make fit?

The washer stays the old colar or spring holder goes for the new adapter. bike on stand rear wheel off the ground loosen preload on shock spring two nuts on top, remove bolt that holds shock to lower linkage remove bolts that hold linkage. back spring preload nuts off so you can push spring up raise swing arm, drop every thing out the bottom the shock can stay on the bike your just replacing the spring should take less than an hour.

The washer stays the old colar or spring holder goes for the new adapter. bike on stand rear wheel off the ground loosen preload on shock spring two nuts on top, remove bolt that holds shock to lower linkage remove bolts that hold linkage. back spring preload nuts off so you can push spring up raise swing arm, drop every thing out the bottom the shock can stay on the bike your just replacing the spring should take less than an hour.

This was what I was doing when the whole kit and caboodle went over. Like a dummy, I was working on the bike w/o tyeing it down. :-(

Reduced to one hand, I took off the airbox and the bladder between the box and the carb and the shock came right out. My lift came today but it's too late to mess with everything tonight (I get home after midnight). First thing in the AM, or when I wakeup anyway, I'll get it all back together.

Thanks for the tips, boys.