Sign in to follow this  

gold valve installation should i?

G'day everyone, i have a wrf400 99. i got some gold valves for the forks really cheap. although i have no shims or anything else. i read the installation instructions on the motoman site, scared me a bit.

ive had the forks apart before and am familiar with them,

my question is, should i install the gold valves with the stock stack?

i dont think i have access to racetech parts in australia. and i dont have a code to use on the website, i have emailed racetech numerous times, to see if i could 'buy' a code but have had no response

any tips?

No. Throw the things in the trash and just use your stock piston and rearrange your shims to your taste. Lots of info on how to do it on TT.

I just did my forks, and it was not that hard. Just a little time and elbow grease, and lots of research on TT first...

Racetech will not send you any info.

When you buy the goldvalve new in a kit you get the valves, shims, a spec sheet, and an access code to get the proper valving from racetech.

since you don't have a code they will not talk to you.

The valves are okay but you will make the better gains by revalving your stock suspension.

first off you need to look at your midvalve and make sure the shims are in decent shape.

you can probably find enough info on this websight from old posts or asking enough questions to get your base valves and midvalves improved enough to work.

You can buy new shims from mxtech, and racetech.

Also check your springrates for your weight and pay attention to oil hieght!

Brettv ,

You could make the Gold Valves work for you, but it does not mean that they are better than what you have.

And most likely, if you don't have a reasonable amount of shims or known shim configurations to work with, you're not going to get too far and may make matters worse.

With that said, I always support experimentation given that it's often the only way we learn. You're always more than welcome to try anything and everything, just be as wise and as safe as you can with everything that you do.

DaveJ

Racetech will not send you any info.

When you buy the goldvalve new in a kit you get the valves, shims, a spec sheet, and an access code to get the proper valving from racetech.

since you don't have a code they will not talk to you.

The valves are okay but you will make the better gains by revalving your stock suspension.

first off you need to look at your midvalve and make sure the shims are in decent shape.

you can probably find enough info on this websight from old posts or asking enough questions to get your base valves and midvalves improved enough to work.

You can buy new shims from mxtech, and racetech.

Also check your springrates for your weight and pay attention to oil hieght!

I bought Gold Valves and had the code and they still wouldn't talk to me. No one ever answered the phone at the number they give you and when I left a message no one ever called me back like they say they will. I called twice and left messages twice. So I figured I'd email them. I told them in the email who I was and included my code. They still never bothered with me. Also there are some glarring irregularities with my particular set up instructions. There are steps in there that don't pertain to my forks or my bike at all, as I had to learn myself because they wouldn't answer me. They are for older forks. There is no mention that these steps have nothing to do with my bike. This tells me that what I got was valving research for older bikes than the 2003 that I have. So where's the guarantee that the valving will work with cartridge valve that I have in my setup? Also they recommend converting the mid-valve to a check plate style but say keep it if you do super cross. Thing is, the midvalve has a two stage stack on it. Compared to a check plate setup the difference on compression damping would be massive.Also coupled with their two-stage stack that their instructions told me to build on the base valve, that would make a 4 stage stack all together. I've never heard of such a thing.

You can go with whom you decide but I personally will never go near their stuff again, just too much vaguenous about it when all I here about suspension stacks and setups is that every little thing matters.

Brett

You didn't provide a weight so I will presume that you are appr. 190 lbs and trail riding. I would suggest you set up the GVs as follows. I am also assuming you have the 2830 GVs.

2 x 21 x .15

1 x 12 x .10

1 x 21 x .10

1 x 19 x .10

1 x 17 x .10

1 x 14 x .10

1 x 13 x .10

1 x 12 x .10

1 x 11 x .10

Set your oil height to 120mm using 5wt oil. I notice you are from Australia. Call Terry Hay in south Wales. He distributes Race Tech and is one of the most knowlegable guys I have dealt with. I sure he can help you.

The Duck