Sign in to follow this  

How I got my plate

Idaho plates, Way to easy.

My wife took the registration from all 3 of our 4 wheelers and my WR426 to the DMV and asked for plates for them all. $109 later and every thing is plated. No inspection, nothing. She did get a paper explaining that it is your responsibility to meet all state requirements, but that’s it.

4 wheeler requirements: license plate, brake light, horn, mirror, insurance. DOT tires. Tires are an issue. But I don't think I would get pulled over just for tires.

Motorcycle requirements. License plate, brake light, horn, mirror, insurance. DOT tires. My S12's are not DOT. I will get some when they wear out. Motorcycle endorsement on drivers license or learners permit.

Idaho is strange; I need a motorcycle endorsement, but no helmet! I wear my helmet anyways.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v614/Cmott/100_0117.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v614/Cmott/100_0126.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v614/Cmott/100_0127.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v614/Cmott/100_0129.jpg

You can plate a 4-Wheeler? Idaho lets you run 4-wheelers on any public roads?

Yes, you can ride a four-wheeler on public roads as long as it is plated and meets the state requirements.

the thought of those 4 wheel....'things' running legally down my road makes me ill. who knew there were such a thing as DOT tires for quads

bye the bye, i use a dunlop front and an S12 rear on the road as well. i'll replace them with DOT tires (pirelli, i'm thinking) when the time comes. or perhaps not. i suppose i'll see how well the S12 holds up.

Here is the deal with the quads. The only reason I have plates is so I can ride on Forest service roads (fire roads/ logging roads). Yes you must have a plate to ride on dirt roads. That is also the reason I have my WR plated.

I told some people that I have a friend that lives in idaho and his blaster is plated and they told me I was full of it. I want to go over there and get a plate then bring it back to washington. I think that would be so BAD to rip arround town on a quad. I am thinking of yzf 450 or a raptor.

I told some people that I have a friend that lives in idaho and his blaster is plated and they told me I was full of it. I want to go over there and get a plate then bring it back to washington. I think that would be so BAD to rip arround town on a quad. I am thinking of yzf 450 or a raptor.

I would really like to hear what the first cop that sees you gives you a ticket for. :banghead:

I wonder what it's like to plate a bike coming into Idaho? I'm pretty sure an inspection is required.

My father-in-law lives in Nampa and I'd love for him to do this for me.

You can't plate an ATV in Washington, even if you've transferred it from another state with a plate.

I wonder what it's like to plate a bike coming into Idaho? I'm pretty sure an inspection is required.

My father-in-law lives in Nampa and I'd love for him to do this for me.

No inspections required in Idaho. The DMV will give you a plate for just about anything as long as you pay your money. Law enforcement will basically conduct an "inspection" when they pull you over if your vehicle doesn't meet state requirements. All that is needed for a motorbike (and I assume a quad) is:

Horn

High/Low beam headlight

Brake-light / Tail-light

Rear-view mirror (only 1 needed)

Insurance and registration

Passenger pegs if you're carrying a passenger

There is also a fender height requirement, of something like 20", but I'd have to look that one up.

DOT tires are NOT required. As long as they're rubber, your good to go.

Turn signals are NOT required if you hand-signal. If you do install turn-signals, there is NO minimum spacing requirements, so you can use flush-mounts if you want.

Metal gas tanks are NOT required.

Even if you have an Idaho registration, and you take your bike into another state, you become subject to that state's laws, regardless of whether or not you have an Idaho "street-legal" bike.

This is all from the Idaho Code, Title 49, which is on-line if you want to look it up for yourself. I also confirmed it with the Idaho State Police.

I just "dual-sported" my WR450, so that is why I was doing the research on it.

Anyhow, maybe more info than you wanted, but that's what I know about it. . . :banghead: