Sign in to follow this  

49er Poker Run?

Since the 49er enduro has been cancelled I was thinking maybe we could do a TT 49er Poker Run at Elkins Flat to take it's place. :banghead:

I'm just checking to see how much interest there would be. I would try to do it Sunday 10/23 (the day the 49er was scheduled). It would not be a race, nothing for the first one to finish, but maybe everyone kicks in a few bucks and the best poker hand wins it. :applause:

I'm thinking 50 miles or less, so there's not an issue with gas. I could ribbon a course on Saturday, and we could all get together Sunday, have a quick riders meeting to describe how the course is marked, etc, then hit the trails. I might need a little help to set it up, and someone to ride sweep with me to pull ribbons, etc. So who thinks this sounds good?🤣

ever since the beer scramble debacle, I have given up on this crowd doing anything organized other then BSing online and showing up to just ride.

good luck.

Yeah, I know, that's why I'm just floating the idea to see if anyone is interested. It wouldn't take that many to make it worth doing, and it's a good excuse to ride Elkins two days in a row for me. :banghead:

I think it would be a great idea, just post as a get together ride, do a post on D36 and ask all who attend to donate $20 to the D36 LAO Fund on the fight to keep this area open!!! I will try and make it if not doing course work for the Crazy Miner, I had offered to help the PD's but unfortunatly they don't need me know.

Kraig Traum

D36 Committeeman

CERA President

www.cera.org

I think it would be a great idea, just post as a get together ride, do a post on D36 and ask all who attend to donate $20 to the D36 LAO Fund on the fight to keep this area open!!! I will try and make it if not doing course work for the Crazy Miner, I had offered to help the PD's but unfortunatly they don't need me know.

Kraig Traum

D36 Committeeman

CERA President

www.cera.org

by doing that simple act, doesn't it become an organized ride? I guess I need to read some USFS rules.

when does a "ride" become an organized event which needs a PERMIT?

If I go around asking for donations from people that should be fine, or if people read this they can mail in a donation to AMA-D36 Lao Fund "49er"

Kraig Traum

D36 Committeeman

CERA President

www.cera.org

Jon Jue explained their criteria at GT for a special use permit

any ride that charge $$ for participation even if it's two people

75 or more people - non commercial group use.

using the trails genrally as intended is casual use and does not require a permit.

Jon says these rules are genrally simliar at all regions but check with each ranger to see their version of these rules for SUPs.

so yes asking for donations to a special cause is not Charging money

Okay, let's see how this looks:

Just another unofficial NorCal TT ride ...................... Check.

Not charging anyone for anything ........................... Check.

Couple $ for Poker Run pool (voluntary) .................. Check.

Accepting donations for D36 LAO fund (voluntary) ... Check.

Less than 75 participants (that's a given)................. Check.

:thinking:That all looks good, so what do I think it'll take to do it?

A fun route using the Elkins Flat trail system.

At least eight riders, but as many as we can get.

Stage at the main staging area so we're not "parking illegally".

One rider to ride Saturday to help ribbon the course.

One rider to help ride sweep Sunday and pull ribbon.

BYOB and lunch for after the ride.

I might scout a route, pick some checkpoints for the cards, and check mileage while I'm up there this Friday. If it looks like enough people are interested I'll post it up this weekend as .......................

:banghead:THE 49ER MEMORIAL TRAIL RIDE & POKER RUN :applause:

I was recently involved in a public function in the forest and as said earlier it must not be commercial and no money charged for anything. I would keep donations low key and if you contact USFS they will be out to check on it, so do it as you are and be careful as to how many different places you post this.

I would be interested in helping you layout the course the day before and stashing the cards. I think the ride should be for fun and maybe we could put out a coffee can for donations to the lao not mandatory of course. If you do more than 50 miles you should break it down into two loops. Sounds like a good time. If someone would contact Big Dan from the Polka Dots and let him know our intentions so we don't step on their toes that would be great. :banghead:

HH

I've already talked to Bret with the Dots, and asked if they would like to join us, since they have the weekend available now anyway. One of the reasons for the ride would be to acknowledge all of their efforts, while they've just gotten screwed by the Pville ranger district again this year.

I definitely think it should be kept low key, but would like to have a good turnout. Like you said, maybe a donation cofffee can, and anyone who wants to do the poker run could commit before the ride, but wait to throw their pool money in a hat after the ride, but before we open up the cards, that way no one is collecting money before hand. Just a quick game of chance after the ride. :banghead:

Sounds like we think alike. For some reason I can't post on the D36 site, I'm working on it though, but I think there might be enough interest to do this Poker Run anyway. I've talked to a couple of the Dots to see if they're interested, and I should hear from them soon.

I'm going up to Elkins tomorrow and might rough out a 30 to 40 mile route. I figure that would probably be best, and people can just go riding afterwards on their own. Like we've mentioned before in this post, I'd like to keep it low-key, but would really like to see a big turnout. Let's see how much response I get here, and how much you get on the D36 board. :banghead:

I'd be interested in this ride. As of right now 23rd is free. Might be able to get a couple of others that were going to ride 49er enduro.

Joe

I'd be interested in this ride. As of right now 23rd is free. Might be able to get a couple of others that were going to ride 49er enduro.

Joe

That is the spirit ! :banghead:

Sounds like we think alike. For some reason I can't post on the D36 site, I'm working on it though, but I think there might be enough interest to do this Poker Run anyway. I've talked to a couple of the Dots to see if they're interested, and I should hear from them soon.

I'm going up to Elkins tomorrow and might rough out a 30 to 40 mile route. I figure that would probably be best, and people can just go riding afterwards on their own. Like we've mentioned before in this post, I'd like to keep it low-key, but would really like to see a big turnout. Let's see how much response I get here, and how much you get on the D36 board. :banghead:

I think any type of "official" or "organized", I do not even want to call it an "event", will cause some disturbance.

My choice is a private, recreational ride with hopefully a lot of riding buddies, especially from the D-36, that join that day.

If somebody has a great "route" :applause: to recommend, I might follow it based on my map.

P.S. to be able to post on the D-36 board you need to be a D-36 member with a valid D-36 number (I think).

I'll put a link up to this thread on D-36.

I should be there and I will bring some raffle tickets if anyone would like to try and win a totally tricked out KX250F. $5 tickets, books of 20.

gentlemen

according to Georgetown rangers for their district, ANY type of event over 75 people is an EVENT needing a permit. I suggest a phone cal to Elkins rangers to see what their event threshold limit is, just to be sure it isnt 25 people.

and regarding any kind of "protest" ride that is a very dumb idea and it wont be supported by any clubs, well at least not in my view.

gentlemen

according to Georgetown rangers for their district, ANY type of event over 75 people is an EVENT needing a permit. I suggest a phone cal to Elkins rangers to see what their event threshold limit is, just to be sure it isnt 25 people.

and regarding any kind of "protest" ride that is a very dumb idea and it wont be supported by any clubs, well at least not in my view.

This ride would be no more an "EVENT" than any other TT ride, no different than the ride we did yesterday at GT. As for a "Protest" ride, I hadn't noticed that anyone had mentioneed it in that way, but I do agree that a formal protest ride probably wouldn't get much support.