Sign in to follow this  

Noise From Inside Front Tube

Fellow TTers, I've got what sounds like little pebbles inside (yes, inside) my heavy duty front tube of my '05 CRF450. This is twice now that I've noticed this "sound".

When replacing my front tire a couple of months ago, I noticed this sound when the bike was on a stand, and I was simply rotating the wheel prior to wheel removal ... believed at the time that some pebbles had made their way somehow between my treadwall and rim. Low and behold, when I removed the tire, the noise was coming from WITHIN my tube. For whatever reason, I discarded the tube without cutting it open to see what was making all the noise ... arrrgh! :applause:

Well, here I am two months later, and I've got the exact same noise coming from my front wheel again. I will definitely cut my front tube open at my next tire change, but was wondering if any of you have experienced this, and have determined what is making the noise. My guess is that small particles of rubber from the inside of the tube have broken loose, and are simply floating around ... can't imagine that there are actually pebbles inside, although that's what it sounds like.

FYI, I mostly ride/race motocross, with some intermittent trail riding.

Thanks in advance for your info! :banghead:

ya, it happens...usually its just the slough off of the inside of the tube combined with a little water from the compressed air that the tube was filled with. The water will condense inside the tube, make a mud which will get rolled around in the tube and bounced and turned into little balls. When you cut the tube open, you'll find black mushy balls. Depending on how hot the tube gets, the balls could be hard too...

Personally, investigating this sound in the tube sounds like a waste of ride time...or any other time for that matter...Id rather watch a rerun of 3's company than worry about a tube that isnt leaking :banghead:

Thanks Shawn,

Figured as much. Nope, won't bother with dulling a good blade by cutting open the tube.

Okay, I'm off to watch my collection of Three's Company videos ... :banghead: