Sign in to follow this  

Rust in the tank

I have a K3 Honda Z50 thats gotta bunch of rust inside the metal tank. I want to get rid of it but dont know how

any suggestions would be good

thanks

your local auto parts store should have something,like a rust remover, or you can try crushed ice in the tank and shake it up alot to knock it loose, i have also heard of people putting BB's in the tank and shaking it up also. i did the ice thing in my 78 atc 70 and it worked decent but my rust was not too bad. and make sure you use a fuel filter after cleaning and before you hook it up to the carb. im sure you knew that but just a friendly reminder

I've used pea gravel in an old boat tank before which worked pretty good. Just took a lot of shaking.

Alright I'll try the pea gravel and then if it dont work i'll go and buy something at a store. Yeah thanks for the article, sounds pretty complicated but its a good site for my old 50 lol.

Thanks

I have used Rustol with great results, although the tank I used it on was not as bad as the one shown in the "Rustol Story" write-up.

It's kind of spendy, but it does come in a concentrate form (you have to dilute it), and you get what you pay for.

Good luck with your tank repair!!

all the shops around here have a product for redoing the inside of tanks i think its called "Kreme" theres 3 bottles in the kit I'll try to find out more info i think its only like $20

I just did a 71 CB 350 tank with a product called POR-15

Worked great. But it is a bit of work. Plan on the better part of the afternoon.

It's not hard to do, just time consuming (you have to shake the tank for 20 min to remove the rust,etc...) doesn't sound like a long time until you are actually doing it!

I am very happy with the results.

Cost me around $35 and an afternoon of my time