Sign in to follow this  

fluid ?

Hi I've got an 04 exc 450 and overheated it for the first time this week and was just worried about what brand of fluid to replace the lost fluid with. Can I just add new fluid to the old or do I have to flush and refill? Thanks

It is always a good idea to avoid mixing brands of coolant. They may be completely compatible... or they may not be. Do you feel lucky?

The bike only has about a liter or two of coolant - the best thing is to replace it all with a fresh batch of 50/50 antifreeze and distilled water, unless you want to experiment with Engine Ice or exotic coolants. I personally feel no need for them.

Pick a name brand like Prestone that has NO silicates. As an example - Peak has silicates, and Toyota Red does not. You can see what's in the stuff on the ingedients list on the back of the bottle. Then you can keep a plastic quart milk container with a 50/50 mix for topping up in the future.

John Davies

After my 450MXC overheated too many times, I switched to Evans Oil and have been running it for the past year and a half. It works great. Hard to find and not cheap either $25 gal. 1 gal should last a couple years though. It also does not run pressurized and therfore is easier on seals.

Walmart has this new stuff (sorry don't remember the brand, although it is a name brand stuff and generic) that is silica free, aluminum safe and is compatable with all types of coolants. It only runs about $9/gal. Other stores carry it too. For the price, you can't really beat it.

Peak used to advertise it was silicate free and alum safe. Has that changed? Looks like their extended life stuff is:

http://www.peakantifreeze.com/pkextended.html

I don't know about their new stuff, but the plain cheap green Peak in the blue bottle definitely has silicates in it. I checked out a gallon jug about a month ago and then bought a gallon of the new Prestone "All Makes All Models Extended Life" stuff:

Prestone

New Prestone Extended Life Antifreeze/Coolant has a dual action formula that can provide protection from -86oF to 276oF. It protects all cooling system metals from rust and corrosion including the thin, lightweight aluminum found in many newer radiators.

The new formula does not offer extended life properties when added to a conventional silicated coolant that requires attention every two years or 30,000 miles.

UNQUOTE

John Davies