Sign in to follow this  

Race Requirements and 2 Piece Leathers

Hey Guys,

I got to get ready for the West Coast SM Shootout on Oct. 8th. Just wondering what the typical requirements are as far as catch cans / fluids etc. to get the bike preped.

I also need to know who makes 2 piece leather setups that would be good for SM use?

Thanks ahead of time. :banghead:

Nate

Heya Nate, you oughta think twice about the 2 piece setup, the only thing they are good for is if you plan on walking around the pits with leather pants on for kicks. They are zippered together top and bottom which is a pain in the ass in the first place, and during the summer you are not going to want to unzip them just to take the jacket off.

Get a good one piece setup, wear light shorts underneath them, and just peel the whole thing off after you come off the track, hang them up on the easy up so they dry out.

Way better way to go.

I have never liked the 2 piece setups for racing.

www.teamscream.tv

Thanks for the input Dauv..... What are my options then?

Shift? Alpinestars? Other?

Do I want a supermoto specific suit?

Also how does the sizing all work on the suits? I am 165lbs. 34 waist and 6'3" or 6'4" or so. Any ideas what size would be a good place to start?

Nate

Go to your local biek shop and try some suits on. See what size you are then try different manufactures on, they all fit a touch different even if they are the same size.

As far as prepping your bike for tech, make sure your carb hoses go into a catch can, your radiator hose needs to go into a catch can as well. You oil fill and drain plugs need to be safety wired, if you have a kickstand it needs to be removed. If there are lights they need to be removed or taped over. Also no coolant is allowed, drain it and replace it with water & the appropriate amount of Red Line Water Wetter.

I say 1 piece.

I went down at Stockton on Monday. Just shut off to grab brakes for T-1 and next thing I know is I am tumbling and my bike is trying to slide past me.

I had the Joe Rocket two-piece SM leathers and while I am alright, I do have a few abrasions where the leathers are not leather, and I wore through to skin.

It might have been better had I zipped the top and bottom together, but of my three abrasions, only one may have been reduced by zipping em. The other two are about 3 inched up from my wrists. This part of the sleeves do not have leather -textile instead, and the sleeves did not ride up on me.

I also lost some skin on my pinky, but they were TLD gloves and not the Joe Rocket gloves, which would have protected me better.

Also, had I not gone down in such a strange way, I most likely would have been just fine. One minute I am preparing to start peeling in to the right, I grab my front brake at my braking marker, and before I know what is happening, I am seeing the pavement coming at me very fast. It seems that my front wheel decided to tuck to the left, sending me down right next to the same real estate previously occupied by said front wheel. The bike then tried to slide over me a few times while I tried to stop tumbling. Then we both slid past the turn into the plastic barriers where we were pretty much out of momentum and stopped.

If I had full gauntlet gloves (which I did grab on my way out of the house, but it seems that I grabbed my wifes instead and could not wear) the rashes on my arms most likely would not have happened.

So, while I like the Joe Rockets, I will say that I did not feel quite as comfortable as I would have with the one piece. For example, my ass was moving around inside my pants, which never happens with one piece.-It was like this, I would accelerate, and it felt like my pants were coming down a bit. -Yes, I should have zipped them, but it did not look like it would have solved that particular issue.

I will say this...I was glad that I had leathers on as opposed to the TLD MX gear style of clothing. It was such an odd crash that the TLD equipment would have allowed for some real pain. For most low side crashes (you know, mid-corner stuff) it would not have been an issue for 1-piece, 2-piece, or the TLD stuff. However, like in my case, you may not have the option of choosing how you go down!

BTW- I had the SME swingarm and fork sliders, and they worked incredibly. I crashed on my street bike (DRZ400) and you can barely even tell. (I was too tired to ride my CRF and this was to be my last session). How many mistakes did I make???

MW

That is the million dollar question if you will,

I have been using the Spidi suit I have for a few years now, it is a road race suit and not supermoto specific, I am really comfortable in it, have gone down in it several times and it is still in great shape, I have never worn a SM specific suit or even tried one on, but when the time comes to replace the one I have I am going to try on everything that is in my price range (usually $1000.00).

I have found over the years with leathers that it is really tricky to buy online because every manufacturer sizes them slightly differently, Dianese for example is made for slender guys unless you get them custom made which is pricey (to say the least).

You can get a great set custom made perfectly for you from Z-Leathers in Orange County (LA area) for about a grand (CLICK HERE) , The Spidi I have now I bought from Lockhart Phillips because I had the generic LP sponsorship back then and the price was right, I did have to return the first one because it was too small, but that only took 4 days to get the right one and I was set.

No matter what, get one that is slightly larger than the one that seems to fit when you are in the showroom if you buy off the rack, remember you are in an air conditioned building, not sweating and don't have arm or leg pump when you are trying them on, they need to fit good but move around freely.

Spidi

Spyke

Alpinestars

Z-Custom

Dianese

Joe Rocket

Vanson

Arlen Ness

Teknic

Check This Site Also

Thats about all I can think of right now bro!

I've tried several of the rack suits in my time and have never been completely satisfied. At the beginning of this year I decided to have a set custom made. After much research I went with www.njkleathers.com Man thats the best way to go if you can afford it, apart from looking good and working great (yes they have been crash tested) they fit perfectly. When they fit so well it is one other thing that doesn't distract you when you are riding. Good luck with whatever way you go.