Sign in to follow this  

Play in clutch basket

Is there supposed to be play in my Hinson clutch basket?There is like a quater inch of forard and back movement.I dont see how there is play though since my inner hub is tight.Any help would be appriated.

Is there supposed to be play in my Hinson clutch basket?There is like a quater inch of forard and back movement.I dont see how there is play though since my inner hub is tight.Any help would be appriated.

No - there is not supposed to be any play. If you are saying your inner hub is tight on the shaft, and your basket moves forward and back about .25", it sounds like you might be missing the thrust washer that goes between your inner hub and clutch basket.

Ha dude that sucks. Mine did that and I had to buy a new clutch basket.The gear on the back of the clutch basket was moving about a 1/4 of an inch each way when it was NOT supposed to.

Ok ill try to explain this a little better.When I have the inner hub on and the nut on the shaft torqued down I can grab the fingers of the clutch basket and like tilt the clutch basket forward and back about a quater inch.

This is how I have everything assembled starting the the basket and working my way out: basket,washer that has the groves in the inside of it, inner hub, lock washer, nut.

After looking at it more today it almost seems like the insert type thing thats part of the gear that connects to the clutch basket(the thing that it actually rides on) has ovaled out.Thats the only thing I can think of.Is that inset actually removeable?I looked but I dont think it is.

So does that mean I need to buy the whole new clutch basket assembly from yamaha and then drill the rivets out and install the hinson basket?

I hope I explained that better.I really need have this figured out and possibly have the part overnighted so I can race this weekend at the Kawasaki race of champions.

In the center of the primary driven gear, there is a machined bore. In this bore should be a needle bearing and a bearing sleeve. The sleeve slides onto the mainshaft and can be easily removed and inspected. If you don't see any wear on these three parts, the rocking play you see may be normal, if there's not really 1/4".

I will try to remove the sleeve.

I am going to want to oeder a new one just in case.In the fische's I have seen I cant find this sleeve.Is it available seperate?Do you by chance have a part number for it.

Gray,

I looked on the Yamaha microfisch and #14 and 15 are not the same parts.Also I just got back from the yamaha shop.I brought the basket along and they said that isnt removeable.Where did you get those part numbers from?I dont see them anywhere.

...Then the rocking play you have is between the gear and the basket, and not between the gear and the shaft, perhaps? In that case, you need a new OEM basket. The cushion assembly is loose. About $160 through the TT store.

The link and page references I gave you are where you will find the parts I mentioned, but if your looseness exists within the assembly, they won't help.