Sign in to follow this  

planning trip to michigan

I am planning a trip to Michigan and am looking for suggestions on where to ride and where to stay, motels, towns.

the more single trak the better. the more difficult/technical the better.

I have 4 days. should i plan on just the upper penninsula and the northern part of the lower penninsula?

where is the good stuff. i would like to go to drummond island one day(i have been there before) and possibly anything near there, like tomahawk trail.

don't mind staying in different hotels and travelling an hour or 2 at night.

I am coming from ohio so would like to start out up north and work south.

the dates are oct. 9-13. anyone available is welcome to join us(4 b-a level off road riders)

This time of the year Drummond is gonna be a bit of a challange. We are starting to get rain again. Combine that along with the cool temps and Drummond is gonna be a.......riot :banghead: Were do I sign up :applause:

naw couldn't go if I wanted to. 🤣

I hear that Sandtown is very nice. Thats not too far away from the bridge in the UP.

Birch hill is short but pretty demanding from what I hear. Thats on the way to and from Drummond.

Tomahawk is a must do. Hit the B and C loops. That is in the LP near Wolverene.

There ar are a few to keep you interested. Have fun.

any suggested places to stay? directions to the trail heads?

thanks a bunch :banghead:

There is a nice little cabins http://www.riverbendresort.com/cabins.htm in detour. Priced pretty reasonable and right on the lake. Nice places. Not real new but nice. They have a kitchens also. We stayed in Duncan cabin. It was nice.

At wolverene if you are gonna camp webber lake campground is just a mile down the road from the staging area. Its a very nice place to stay.

If your camping you can actually camp on Drummond right at the staging area at trail marker #13. Well just south of it. There is a clearing just to the south of the staging area maybe 100 yards away that we camp at all the time. May even be fire wood there still.

Newberry would put you on the Newberry to Brevort trail plus the Sandtown and Silver Creek systems. Easily spend the whole trip out of one motel.

ohh and even though there are those hunting restrictions if you go at the wrong time of the year, there is always that 1 hour in the middle of the day you could blitz a trail if your brave, or you can pull a yzman, wolfy combo and go at night when there are no restrictions hehe.

thanks 2trakR, i was thinking newberry. I rode there last year.

how are the trails at kinross? I heard from one person they were good any other opinions?