Sign in to follow this  

Electrical problems again, please help!

So when I first bought my bike I had the typical regulator plug problems, so I hard wired the 2 wire RR plug to the batter. Voltage was above 14 running, etc, all signs were good. I have been daily driving the bike now (20 miles plus a day) to and from class for a month. Just today, all of a sudden it started cranking slow and then wouldnt crank at all, pop start it runs perfect.

Here is the situation tell me what you guys think.

Blinkers flash with engine off, headlight barely works, horn doesnt.

Pop start bike, everything works but the horn...this makes no sense.

Long trip after pop starting does not charge the batter at all.

From what I understand if the RR was bad the bike wouldnt continue to run after I pop start it. Could my 1 month old gel battery be shot already? If it is just dead for some odd reason what is the correct charging procedure for a gel battery?

Thanks a bunch! This bike has the biggest POS electrical system ever!

BTW, I plan on taking running voltage measurements once I buy a battery charger to jump start it with when I have the side panel off. I also need to take it to my storage unit to work on it, which I cannot do untill tonight.

Thanks!

What are you using for a battery? You say gel? Are you using a gel cell?

You are correct, you need to take voltage measurements and go from there. You should have a fully charged battery in the system when you take the measurements. Do you have the full check-out procedure? If not PM me and I will send it.

Its an interstate gel battery. I will buy a charger tomorrow and charge her up! I didnt ride it for 3 days before this happened and it was raining to maybe that is why? I know the test procedure, will post after I test tomorrow.

I know nothing about Interstate gel batteries. In general, gel batteries do not make good starting batteries. You need the correct Yuasa, GS or other top brand generally known as Absorbed Glass Mat (AGM) battery construction. Gel cells are a different techology used for computer back up, emergency lighting, etc.

I dunno, the interstate battery dealer guy claimed this was the same construction as a stock battery. It worked fine for over a month with 10+ starts per day and short trips.

It is probably not a true gel cell. Often that term is mis-used to describe any battery that is not liquid in the cell. Does Interstate have a web site? What part number battery?

Could be 10 starts a day and short trips are the problem.