Sign in to follow this  

Rimrock Grand Prix Cancelled!!!

As stated on the dust dodger's web site http://www.dustdodgers.org, the Rimrock grand prix has been canceled without option to reschedule for this year.

I called the ranger station and spoke with Randy Shepard and was explained that the cancelation had nothing to do with the event itself and as I understood Randy the issue was due to procedures not being followed correctly by the ranger district during the permitting process and they have been forced by a court rulling to revoke the permit. Randy explained that from a recent California Federal ruling they are required to fill out an enviornment impact anaylsis and that the "categorical exclusion" they filled out isn't sufficient/valid. Furthermore, tha anaylsis has to be made available for public comment, etc., etc.

I don't know if there is more to it than this. As suggested by the dust dodgers, I urge everyone to call the ranger district themselves and expresse displeasure with the court ruling.

All we want to do is ride our machines without being hassled by the man! :banghead:

Jeff Tasky

All we want to do is ride our machines without being hassled by the man! :applause:

Jeff Tasky

🤣 Preach Brother 🤣

Ohh well, a chance to save some skrilla for the 24 hr at Starvation Ridge. :banghead:

the other thing to consider is the huge impact that will have on the dust dodgers. most people have no clue the amount of time, energy, and money that goes into putting on an event like this. I would guess that as nice as the trophies the dust dodgers provide are they will be out $5000-7000 in just those alone. When you factor in insurance, sana-cans, payment for on-site ambulance, etc., etc., it's going to hurt

the other thing to consider is the huge impact that will have on the dust dodgers. most people have no clue the amount of time, energy, and money that goes into putting on an event like this. I would guess that as nice as the trophies the dust dodgers provide are they will be out $5000-7000 in just those alone. When you factor in insurance, sana-cans, payment for on-site ambulance, etc., etc., it's going to hurt

I just had that exact conversation here at work.

Didn't they cancel the Dad's Day poker run last minute also?

Treasurers report won't be happy at the next meeting.

There had to be some "Greenies" behind this. Who else would find the devil in the details like that?

Well....... you want to go Reiter on Saturday Trav? I just got my front end all together and I need to work some air out of the forks I'm sure.

Hopefully dust dodgers can just re-label the trophies for next year. I wasn't planning on going anyways but this really sucks!

There had to be some "Greenies" behind this. Who else would find the devil in the details like that?

Well....... you want to go Reiter on Saturday Trav? I just got my front end all together and I need to work some air out of the forks I'm sure.

Hopefully dust dodgers can just re-label the trophies for next year. I wasn't planning on going anyways but this really sucks!

yep, I think you are right don about the greenies...

I found some info on it, and appears the ruling is from a lawsuit by "Earth Island Institute", a Califonia greenie group. apparently the ruling requires that "categorical exclusions" not be exempt from public comment and review, as a result all "categorical exclusion" permits have been revoked. You can find more info here

http://www.fs.fed.us/emc/applit/litigation.htm

I sent you a PM about reiter

I just had that exact conversation here at work.

Didn't they cancel the Dad's Day poker run last minute also?

Treasurers report won't be happy at the next meeting.

After they cancelled their poker run for the benefit of all, it a disgrace and I'm definitely planning to call. :banghead:

I'm frickin bumbed ! I was really looking forward to camping and racing there this weekend. :banghead:

I'm frickin bumbed ! I was really looking forward to camping and racing there this weekend. :applause:

Yes, I am bummed, too. It totally blows. YVDD is a great club that works hard in the Naches Ranger District. I know my club (CFMC) used to put on the Black Bear Enduro there. We logged hundreds of hours of volunteer work there every year in preparation for the event. We ran into similar permitting problems a few years ago and could see the writing on the wall--that it looked like the USFS wouldn't allow us to hold our event. So we pulled the plug.

The area will suffer no doubt, because we no longer spend our volunteer time in that district because we have moved the event to another location. In addition, I wonder if the YVDD will continue to donate their hard work, sweat, and precious time to that area. It appears to me that the land manager doesn't realize how valuable the cumulative volunteer work the clubs put into an area. Now we will have to hear a long sob story about how they don't have the budget to fix or maintain trails. It could become a viscious cycle, I'm afraid.

Bureacracy is something I will never understand, fully. How is it possible to hold an organized event in one ranger district, but not in another? Example, there was a poker run held at Evans Creek in the White River District on the west side of the cascades. Cross over to the eastside and you are denied in the Naches Ranger District. What gives? :banghead:

It sounds to me that the order issued on 9/16/05 by the CA District court allowed for a nationwide stay on permits such as the one obtained by the Dust Dodgers. This really scares me because the next thing you know, some other green group will sue the USFS and get all of our riding areas closed down, nationwide. I think it is a little ridiculous to require a nonprofit organization, such as motorcycle clubs, to do an EIS (environmental impact statement) and allow for public comment before a permit is even issued. This is a lot of time and money that clubs will have to contribute before they are even guaranteed that they can hold an event to make money.

It sounds to me that the order issued on 9/16/05 by the CA District court allowed for a nationwide stay on permits such as the one obtained by the Dust Dodgers. This really scares me because the next thing you know, some other green group will sue the USFS and get all of our riding areas closed down, nationwide. I think it is a little ridiculous to require a nonprofit organization, such as motorcycle clubs, to do an EIS (environmental impact statement) and allow for public comment before a permit is even issued. This is a lot of time and money that clubs will have to contribute before they are even guaranteed that they can hold an event to make money.

Which will mean the cost of entering an event will go up. In turn that will mean fewer participants, which will mean even less money for the Clubs to work with. Sounds like a losing vicous circle to me. :banghead:

Which will mean the cost of entering an event will go up. In turn that will mean fewer participants, which will mean even less money for the Clubs to work with. Sounds like a losing vicous circle to me. :banghead:

Actually, I think it will be the end to all events held on USFS land unless the order is appealed and won on appeal. No non profit club or organization is going to fork out thousands of dollars so an EIS can be completed without the guarantee that they will be able to hold an event to make the money back. It's a sad thing and hopefully the AMA, Blue Ribbon Coalition and NMA can do something about this. This order threatens not only local events, but also national events, such as the national enduros, GNCC's, Worcs and harescramble events.