Sign in to follow this  

Best idle speed?

What do you guys think makes the best idle speed and how do you set for it? Since we can't refer to RPMs, what do you "look"/listen for?

Does anyone set the idle speed a bit higher for off-road? My throttle/clutch control skills are still under development. Do you think a somewhat higher idle speed would make for smoother power control when doing tricky low-speed 1st gear manuevers?

Suzuki specs are 1800 rpm for the E and 1500 rpm for the S. I set idle to the lowerst speed that the engine runs smooth and steady and does not sound like it wants to stall. High idle will not help your low speed manuevers. Practice will. If you still have the stock gearing, lower gearing will help. If jetting is lean, that will make low speed control difficult. Is it stock or has it been rejetted?

High idle will not help your low speed manuevers. Practice will. If you still have the stock gearing, lower gearing will help. If jetting is lean, that will make low speed control difficult. Is it stock or has it been rejetted?

Roger on the practice.

I've re-jetted. I may be lean, but I'm not sure.

I am the only one who has to get used to hearing the engine rev higher when I apply the clutch and leave throttle position unchanged when I want to back off my speed a bit when crawling through tough terrain? I still have to get past wanting to throttle off to decrease power to the ground. When I do throttle off, it's hard to quickly and smoothly resume engine speed. Does that make any sense?

a bit, well, i didnt quite understand what you said about getting used to higher revs when pulling in clutch and not backing off on throttle... well yeah your gonna hear high revs, cus your just giving it gas, and its not giving power to the wheel, so the engine is just spinning... and btw it is all about practice.... just work with it a bit, and you should have it under controll.

well yeah your gonna hear high revs, cus your just giving it gas, and its not giving power to the wheel, so the engine is just spinning.

Right, but as a newbie, especially off-road, I have to fight my brain wanting to hear the engine rev lower when I want less power to the wheel. So I find myself throttling off, even when all I want to do is clutch in so I can resume power more smoothly and with greater control by clutching out.

But I hear you all on the practice, practice, practice. I look forward to it!

There are lot of different riding techniques. I'm on the throttle control side. I don't use the clutch a lot. Engine tractability is what I want and use. I don't have the clutch in and the revs up unless I'm at walking speed or less. It's not a 2 stroke you kinow.

I don't have the clutch in and the revs up unless I'm at walking speed or less. It's not a 2 stroke you kinow.

That's the speed I'm talking about, walking speed. Heading in and coming out of deep crevices.