Sign in to follow this  

Where'd this little bugga come from? Motor tear down pics inside

Yup, another thread...Sorry guys, just keeping things interesting and giving you something to do??

Here's some pictures of my motor rebuild so far.

Image004.jpg

Image009.jpg

Good valve...

Image008.jpg

Bad Valve...

Image007.jpg

Piston, with no blow by!!! A little gunk on top, and the skirts are a little bit rubbed.

Image006.jpg

Head...

Image013.jpg

Image012.jpg

Image011.jpg

Image010.jpg

And lasssst!!! Does anyone know where this goes? I do not recall taking it off, but I did find it somewhere a long all my parts...I'm 99% positive it came off the bike.

Image003.jpg

Image002.jpg

That is hysterical. After I rebuilt my motor, I had that exact part left over.

I have no idea where it came from and it's still sitting on my work bench.

It goes on the rear of the head. The part that the bolt goes thru with the mount.

It holds the bolt in the mount I guess before you attach the nut...

I belive that is the head mount piece that acts as a washer for both sides of the head.

Body and smoker are right. Rear head mount. It sandwiches between the bolt hole boss in the head and each of the triangular engine mounts. As for the purpose? Hmmmmmm.

Hmmmm. It's interesting that your "good" valve looks clean and your "bad" valve has lots of crud on it. Did you clean the good valve? Does the crud appear to be burned oil? Which side was the bad valve on? Interesting....

Just a quick heads up. When I pull my top end, I don't remove the rear subframe. I just remove the lower subframe bolts, loosen the top bolt and loosen the clamp on the intake boot closest to the engine. You can then pull the subframe up high enough for the intake boot to clear the head. Saves alot of time. :banghead:

BTW, I meant to say way to go on rebuilding your own engine! :banghead::applause: It is so much easier if you can work on your own stuff verses relying on somebody else or paying high dollars for a shop to mess it up. And nobody will care for your bike as much as you do. Well done!! You should be proud of yourself.

FYI - Comment on the Crud.

The 04 original head on our bike looked like that then the replacement 04 head that was put on before we got it looked like that. Steady diet of pump gas and the Valve cover vent going into the carb boot. Moved that Vent out of the boot and we run Race gas. Combustion camber is clean and valves have almost no crud (only from the oil leak down of the guides..

Nice pics though. Leave that subfram on especially with an X..too many wires...

I took the subframe off to clean the airbox. Every so often I rip everything off and give it a nice good cleaning.

That valve is the right intake. I did not clean the left one. The crud is just carbon from the valve being stuck open.

I can honestly say, that I went 2 races without cleaning the airfilter. When I finally remembered...it was too late, the damage was done. The filter was DISGUSTING. My money is still on the dust/dirt theory.

Good to know. I went through my parts manual and couldn't find it anywhere.

I just figured it must have come off of something else. Then I see this post and it

stumped someone else as well.