Sign in to follow this  

Engine dies when throttle's off....

Hmmm. Just took her out for a spin after screwing around with throttle cables this afternoon.

Bike ran fine for first few miles. Then when shifting, I returned the throttle to the off position and the engine died.

Wouldn't start until I put petcock on Prime. Then started, but would run only so long as I kept the throttle on a bit. Also, lots of popping and backfiring.

Any thoughts?? (Help!)

Won't idle, pops, backfires are symptoms of plugged idle jet.

or he can just put the vacuum line back on that he left off after having the tank off.

if i had a dollar for every time............. :banghead:

or he can just put the vacuum line back on that he left off after having the tank off.

good stuff :applause: that's at least the second time i've seen you give the vacuum line fix tip today.

Sorry Big Guy, but you'd be a dollar short this time! I haven't had the tank off since I installed it last month.

It's possible I pulled the vacuum line loose or off when I tried to yank the return cable through the frame. I'll check.

Would the bike run fine for 10 minutes without the vacuum line attached and then die?

I hope this is the case. It's only been 30 minutes, but I find I can't sleep at night, I've lost my appetite, colors don't seem as bright (well, it is getting dark out), and I'm on the verge of tears whenever I think of my bike sitting there in the garage waiting to be fixed.

:applause:🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

I wish I lived in Colorado near Burned. I'd love to trade him dollars for tuning up my bike.

Burned: you posted some Dyno graphs in another thread. The lean main one looks like my bike feels sometimes.

If I want to find a local guy to Dyno and tune my bike here in Phoenix, how do I know someone is competent?

I found out what happened to my carb, but don't know why it would happen. I put it in this thread:

https://thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=295046

dj kit

138 main jet

clip 4

25 pilot jet

2.5 turns fuel screw

Jetting as per the above expert's advice. 3x3 mod, Yosh slip-on.

I had the problem after adjusting the throttle cables (without the manual). Your return cable may be too tight. You should have about 1/8" of thread on the top of the throttle return screw and about 1/8" of play on the throttle. My bike had similar simptoms when I went too tight on the throttle return.