Sign in to follow this  

fuel petcock removal

i have an older xl70 that i am restoring and am pretty much left with fixing the tank up. i wanted to put that cream inside of it but i will be dammed if i can't figure out how to get the petcock out. i am by no means an novice mechanic nor am i an expert but there are no screws or bolts visible. usually there are two bolts you take out to get it out but i can't see anything and don't want to push my like since vintage parts are a little harder to come by.

thanks adam

do you have a digital camera? if so take some pictures of it and post it on here and maybe we can help a little more. sorry

My ATC70 doesn't have the petcock on the tank, it's on the carb. It just has two fittings coming out of the bottom of the tank. I don't know if the XL is set up like that or not.

From what I can see on the Service Honda online microfiche, there is a 6x16 machine screw that holds the petcock in place. It looks as though you have to remove the lower fuel bowl to access it.

i have no idea how to use that webpage.. very confusing but i understand what you are talking about so i will give that a try.

just wanted to let everyone know just like the other guy said there is a bolt that goes straight through the bowl.. remove the bottom of the bowl then the fuel screen and it is hidding underneath there... easy as pie.

thanks

adam

Use Por-14, NOT Kreem to seal the tank btw. Kreem is crap, it'll peal/flake after a year or two, Por-14 holds up MUCH better.

what is por-14 and where do i get it.

and the kream is already paid for so i am going to go for it anyways i guess in two years i can revisit it.