Sign in to follow this  

Competetion Bike Only??

The new crop of 4s bikes comming out are designed for competeion use or closed course use only. (Tuned to edge of destruction).

Why don't the manufactureres have extensive line ups of recreational type dirt bikes with modern features and reliability being high on the list? If a guy wants the highest performance street bike, he buys a repli racer, and there is a whole lota bikes left to choose from for the regular guy (cruiser tourers,standards, etc) which are all great reliable bikes with decent performance.

I'd like to see some new recreational bikes with most of the high tech stuff of the racers but with rugged drive trains that aren't so finicky with oil changes and valve adjustments. Just a thought. :banghead:

The new crop of 4s bikes comming out are designed for competeion use or closed course use only. (Tuned to edge of destruction).

Why don't the manufactureres have extensive line ups of recreational type dirt bikes with modern features and reliability being high on the list? If a guy wants the highest performance street bike, he buys a repli racer, and there is a whole lota bikes left to choose from for the regular guy (cruiser tourers,standards, etc) which are all great reliable bikes with decent performance.

I'd like to see some new recreational bikes with most of the high tech stuff of the racers but with rugged drive trains that aren't so finicky with oil changes and valve adjustments. Just a thought. :banghead:

Or else just deal with the performance/maintenance reality. For me, the beauty of the power-to-weight of my CRF450 makes the extra maintenace very worthwhile. I'm definitely no pro, but I totally love being able to hammer the whoops as hard as I have balls for, and wicking it up on longer jumps because the bike can do it. My bike hasn't been an excuse for my riding ever since I moved up to a CRF450R, and my riding has improved incredibly because of the step-up in bike. :applause:

But I have to wonder what the vintage classes will be in 20 years. My guess, XR400s winning races, never having had major service.

Whats wrong with the KLX??? I would imagine it would fit the bill quite nicely?

WR's are stone reliable and very high performance, the only problem is it takes about 3hrs. of wrenching on either 250f or 450f to get them up to snuff

Well, there is nothing wrong with the KLX 300, actually it is the perfect bike for me and riding I do. I think it's is a niche bike that has no other bike to really compare to it. I was just wondering why the other OEM's don't have liquid cooled 4s in the catagory of "recreation" like the KLX300.

It sounds like he's asking for the reliability of the XR's, NOT the CRF x's.

A bike for the recreationist, not a bike that has to be gone over every couple of hundred mile of use, not for the rider that is at least semi competitive in his riding style.

Ride on

Brewster

ya is there any companies that make something like a xr250 motor in a crf250 chasis? i think that would be good for lots of people who arent going to race and just want a reliable motor with good suspension.

ya is there any companies that make something like a xr250 motor in a crf250 chasis? i think that would be good for lots of people who arent going to race and just want a reliable motor with good suspension.

Will an XR 400 motor in a CR aluminum frame work. If so then BBR is the company to call. They'll even rig that monkey up with electric start if you want!