Sign in to follow this  

WST ride, Sunday October 9th

Copied and pasted from my post in the Shirley Temple ride thread:

We could unload at Mighigan Bluff and ride from there. Sunday the 9th is fine by me. Any takers, or do peeps already have plans?

There isn't any part of the WST that I haven't ridden alone, so it's totally do-able for a group. As far as any cliffy sections, there isn't anything any worse than what's on 5 or 6, just more of it all stacked together in a relatively few miles. Any of you heros that want to ride downhill around the switchbacks go right ahead, but don't mind me when I 3-point turn them, or get off and walk the bike a few yards. I could probably ride around every single one if my life depended on it, but it doesn't, so I won't.

I just wouldn't want anyone to go on this ride thinking that it's gonna' be the end-all super technical ride from hell and then be disappointed because it's really not that big of a deal. Truth is, once you get out of the bottom of the north fork of the middle fork canyon, it turns into a regular dirt road that you could drive your car on for several miles. Then it becomes basically an easy Jeep trail (could take a 2 wheel drive pickup on it) as you get up on Cavanaugh ridge. From there we'd probably want to take the quick side trip (like a mile or so) up to the lookout on Bald Mountain (Duncan peak fire lookout, although technically the true "Duncan peak" is a touch north of there) just for the view. The trail goes back to single track at Robinson Flat, but just a few miles after that is where the downed trees will be a problem. I guess we can see how it goes and peeps can decide if they want to deal with the tree crossings or just call it a good spot to turn around and go back. Anyone that doesn't have a plate will be stuck pretty much backtracking the WST. There's no legal way that I know of to make a loop out of the ride without a plate.

Whaddya' think?

P.S. The WST does have some sections that are pretty technical and challenging. You should probably be what most would consider an "experienced" rider. It's also not a bad idea to have fairly low gearing on your bike for the switch back sections into and out of the N fork of the middle fork canyon. I don't mean that in any sort of condescending way (Lord knows I'm not the greatest rider) I just figure that people ought to know up front that there are difficult sections to this ride. As an example: I usually run 14/47 gearing for just about anything else, but I'm going to drop down to a 13 on the countershaft just to save me from excessive clutch work. You be the judge of what's most appropriate for your own personal circumstance.

I replied in the "Shirley" thread. Unfortunately I can't go. Next time I hope. You all have a good ride.

🤣 This Sunday is a Bust! 🤣

:banghead: Next Sunday I'm Free! :applause:

I would really like to make this ride. I have a 2 liter jug that fits in my Camelbak for extra gas. Gives me an extra 15 miles or so. 🤣

I have prior committments I didn't know I had. 🤣🤣

Next Sunday then. :banghead: Maybe it'll even rain between now and then if we're lucky.

I edited the post and title to reflect the date change.

Thanks Johny,

The post title hasn't changed. TT issue.

Simply post it up again. Giving everyone an extra week may bring a few more players to the ride! :banghead:

:applause: For a minute there..........I thought I was losing it! 🤣

I'm in. I just hope I can find it! :banghead:

I'll have to check to be sure when I get home, but I should be in as well. Yee Haw a new trail to experience.

:banghead: Thanks Guys,

Gotta keep the little woman happy! :applause:

My Sunday is clear. WST here I come! 🤣

cool, i will d-load the tracks i made on trail 6 to my topo program and check it out now that i have a general area

DGC,

I've told your story to about 15 people. They just shake their heads & roll their eyes! :banghead: Folks just don't understand the attraction.

Heal up fast, I never did get to ride with you. I just saw your dust for about 1 minute after all you fast guys left. 🤣

I just realized, I'm slower than a guy with a broken leg!!!🤣:banghead:

That map is giving me Goose Bumps! 🤣:busted:

DGC,

I've told your story to about 15 people. They just shake their heads & roll their eyes! 🤣 Folks just don't understand the attraction.

Heal up fast, I never did get to ride with you. I just saw your dust for about 1 minute after all you fast guys left. 🤣

I just realized, I'm slower than a guy with a broken leg!!!🤣:banghead:

That map is giving me Goose Bumps! :busted::busted:

You are also slower than a fat chick on a quad or have you mentally blocked out that memory :banghead: .

I am also in for this ride, where will we be staging from?

I figured that Michigan Bluff would be a good place to stage unless someone knows of a reason that we shouldn't. It's been a while since I've been to the trailhead there, but I seem to remember there being an area to park. I'll ride up there after work either tomorrow or Wednesday and make sure there's adequate parking for several rigs. I'll also get the exact mileage from the turnoff to MB at Baker Ranch, down to exactly where the staging area is. If, for some reason, staging at MB doesn't work out, then we could use China Wall as a back up. I'm sure it'll work out one way or another. I'm looking forward to it. :banghead:

Here's a website: Click it with tons of info and background on the WST. Move your mouse pointer over the boxes, "Clickable Maps", "Trail Sections", etc. That particular site is done up from the perspective of the Tevis Cup horse jockeys, but it's loaded with info nonetheless.

Ok, I just got home from riding up to Michigan Bluff after work. (And froze my ass off on the way home, I might add...) The parking there looks like it'd pretty much just be a deal where you'd have to park alongside the road in "town". (It ain't much of a town. More like a wide spot in the road.) I'm guessing that any more than 3 or 4 rigs might raise the ire of the locals, but I could be wrong about that.

It's been a while since I'd been to that end of the WST, but I could have sworn there used to be some more parking there. There are people building some new homes right along the trail in the area where I thought I remembered seeing horse trailers parked way back when. Who knows? Maybe I'm just getting old and losing my memory. Anyhow, it's up to the majority as to what you want to do.

I could ride my bike from home and that'd be one less rig to park. I've got no problem with that as long as someone wouldn't mind selling me enough gas to top off before we head out. Another option, if anyone's interested, would be driving up the Chickenhawk road a ways and parking at the first wide spot. That road turns off to the left just a stone's throw before you get to MB. I don't think anyone would get much hassle for riding less than a mile on the paved road to the actual trailhead, but I don't know that for sure. Then there's always China Wall which is a totally safe bet.

Thoughts?