Sign in to follow this  

Jerky Shifting

Hey everybody,

I have been looking around and have not been able to find an answer to a small problem I have regarding my stock 1984 XR350R.

This bike is getting on in the years but still runs grand. Recently though, I have begun to notice for lack of a better word 'jerky' pick up when I begin to accelerate after coasting. It is not noticeable off the line or if I am accelerating hard through the gears. The problem begins after I am at speed (any gear) and have let off on the throttle. When I go to twist the throttle again there is a slight delay in response that ends with a 'jerk' before the bike starts to accelerate. Initially I thought that it was worn chain/sprockets but after checking them, both sprockets look fine and the chain is still within the service length specified in the clymer manual.

Anyone know what I am up against here? Any thoughts would be most appreciated.

If you notice this "jerky" problem as you engage the clutch as well sometimes then you are developing notches in the inner and outer clutch basket.

Clutch may well be the issue you are experiencing anyway, as they can present themselves in many ways. Pull the cluthc cover and inspect the plates and basket. This iis an easy thing to do and will be obvious if it is the issue.

There is of course the obvious things to check for, but one should never presume:

Air flow

Fuel flow

spark

compression

I have not noticed the problem when engaging the clutch, it stands out the most when the clutch is not used at all, for example if I am in high rpms in third, let off the throttle and coast, then (still in third) twist the throttle and accelerate again. If I feather the clutch and let it out slow the problem seems to go away. Almost feels as if something in the drivetrain is sloppy.

Will pull the clutch cover tomorrow and inspect and then reply. For the record I have already ensured that my air/fuel/spark is all satisfactory (although haven't checked compression due to lack of tester)