Sign in to follow this  

xr400 stator rewind?

Hi my street legal "eyes" are already dimming 🤣

was wondering if any of you pulled out the stock stator

of xr400 for rewind? :banghead:

saw it on the webby by ricky stator?

is the stock stator also the same as xr650?

am looking to add to the existing empty slots. 🤣

have yet to buy the materials shouldn't be too hard though..

any advise is appreciated

:applause:🤣

There are several winding scenarios explained on the Yahoo XR650R group. One of the guys wrote a software program to model them. Check that out before doing anything. Most recommend removing the old windings (and I agree).

All in all its not hard if you have a little electrical tendency, just makes for sore fingers mostly.

3M 2216 Epoxy is recommended to coat the coils.

was just wondering if the stock xr4 has empty slots before i buy more of the magnetico wires???

many thanks for the info xr250rdr will definately check that out!!

cheers

Yes, in fact most of the poles on the stator are bare. I have rewound mine myself and if I remember right, 2 poles were wound for the ignition system and 3 for lighting. Leaving like 7 poles bare.

I pulled mine out and sent it to Baja Designs and had them wind it. Had it back within the week. Big difference. I can run a higher wattage bulb and no more dim lights. Downside is that now the headlight only works when the bike is running. A few years back my Brother and I did the Big Bear Night Ride and had to cut it short due to the stock stator not keeping the batteries charged enough for the headlight.

Darin

Send it to Baja Designs. Two 125 watt outputs. One for the headlight and the other for everything else. I run the rest of my lights, grip heaters and the such. They had it back to me in about a week. I run a PIAA superwhite headlight.

Hey Tahoe, are you running a second voltage reg. with that 2nd 125W circuit?

No. When I got the stator back I had to install a relay so I could switch the hi/lo beam on the headlight. Other than that there is nothing else to do. I know a lot of people bitch about BD, but I have had nothing but good luck with them.

i'm sure BD's a good thing but I'm in SINGAPORE!!!

guess i can go to them but i'll have to do it myself

trail & error will be the topic of the weekend!!

cheers & thanks for replies

now that i'm sure i have 7 bare poles.....

i'll go ahead & wrap the buggers up!!!

cherio guys

des

I rewound mine myself but left the original winding alone. Now I have two separate systems, the stock 85 watts and the new with about 125. I have different lights on each system so if one fails the other will still work. I didn't epoxy the wires (in case there was a problem) and have about 3000 miles on the bike with no problem.

Good luck. What bulb should I put in my 2003 XR250? Thanks.

Applejacks, dustin

With a stock stator it will struggle to even power a 55W bulb. After I rewound mine I can run a 100W H3 w/ the stock regulator w/o any dimming.

dont mean to hijack this thread, but have a question for anyone that has done the rewind. I did mine about 6 months ago. I started off with the 55w halogen, and had no dimming. Then i went to the 100w halogen and still no dimming. But the last trip i went on, my buddies 400 with stock stator and 55w hologen was brighter than my 100w when he reved. Mine did not dim at idle still but it jsut doest seem to be as bright. Could i have fogged up my plastic lens to much or something? Doesnt make sense.

If you're running a 100W halogen I'd definately replace the stock plastic lens with the glass kit. You say your buds 55W light seems brighter. As veiwed how? Looking directly into the light or sitting on the bike looking at the amount of light cast in front of you? Differences in headlight adjustment(up/down), how/where the bulb is mounted inside the reflector can cast the light in a different way, a different elevation and distance to/from your eye, dispersing the light differently between the 2 bikes and make one seem brighter than the other. Just a thought.

currently his light is brighter when he revs his engine, when looking right at them, and the light they disperse. But about a month ago, my 100w, was definitely brighter. I am going to get another baja designs headlight i think, and just use my dc system i guess. Just hope my rewind is not starting to fail or something.

I highly doubt the rewind is failing if you did it right. You're slowly melting the plastic lens.

You can get the glass lens for cheaper than BD sells it. Do a search for baja designs upgrade and you will find the Honda part # for the glass lens. Its about $15 cheaper from Service Honda.