Sign in to follow this  

Leaking at the shifter shaft...help please

Is there a gasket or something that I need to replace. The leak is messing up my garage....I'm fairly handy with my bikes, so as long as I don't have to crack the case, I can do it....Thanks

You'll need to replace the countershaft seal. On some bikes this is very simple. If the CS seal is pressed in from the outside on your 150, you can take the old one out by piercing it with a self-tapping screw. Obviously you'd have to remove the sprocket first. Once you get a few threads into the seal, grab the screw with a pair of vice grips and pull the seal out. You might have to do this in a few places around the seal's circumference depending on how hard it is pressed in.

Once the old seal is out, make sure that the hole and shaft are all cleaned out and slide the new seal on the shaft. It doesn't hurt to coat the seal, bore and shaft with a light film of heavy grease. Using a large, deep well socket or piece of tubing, lightly tap the new seal into place. Be sure and push on the seal only on the outer metal ring.

On the other hand some bikes need to split the cases to install a new countershaft seal. If you've never split the cases, then it might be a good idea to take this type of bike to a pro mechanic.

You can do this with the bike leaned on the side so the oil doesn't leak out. Just be careful not to drop anything down into the case. :banghead:

if that doesn't fix it, it might be the oil drain plug right behind the shifter