Sign in to follow this  

can I safely lower my 250x?

I just bought a an 05 250x for my 15 year old(up from a 150f) but he is up on his toes to touch the ground and was wondering if I can lower it without screwing up the way the suspension works?

Sure.... You can cut the seat foam down. Its really easy to do it yourself.

Setting the sag correctly and pushing the forks up in the clamps a bit will also lower the bike a bit.

also the suspension itself can be lowere internally by 1.5 inches, really helps and works good, alot of the suspension shops can do it for you, Slavens Racing did mine

I just bought a an 05 250x for my 15 year old(up from a 150f) but he is up on his toes to touch the ground and was wondering if I can lower it without screwing up the way the suspension works?

i just did one for a customer,

05 250x

lowered it 3",--re-valved it and made it plush and nice -cut and corrected the springs for preload , and set the sag ,

i gota say the thing turned out kinda cool,

it sits just about like my xr250 now,---the thing is cute , and it works like a normal one :banghead:

Have the Shock and Forks internally Modified to reduce the Travel.

I can tell you from experience that it will work great until you really push the Bike hard (Race Speeds in Whoops).

Fineline did my Wife's and she raced it for 1 1/2 Years that way before she got too fast for the reduced travel.

the safest way is to lower the suspension. kouba link may cause problems with the suspension in long term. i lowered my crf 250r (05) 1 and 1/2 inches. i did this by goin to a suspension shop(Precision concepts in san diego). ittle run around $500 to do this. it works awsome, and its the right way to lower a bike. the seat is also nice to do, but watch that u dont (or a shop) make holes or a lumpy cut in the seat.

I rode a KX125 that was lowered 2" and I could barely tell the difference. the only reason you would need all of 12 or more inches of travel is for narley whoops. For the rest of us, we can do without the extra 2 or 3 inches! unfortunatly (unless your a skilled mechanic) you will need to take it to a suspension expert. Good Luck.