Sign in to follow this  

So who wants Fuel Injection ?

Was reading the latest Dirt Bike last night, they were raving about the Gas Gas 450's fuel injection and how it was just a matter of time before the big Japanese manufacturers step up to the plate.

Now I dont know about you, but FI is the last thing I want on my dirt bike. :banghead: Stuck out in the middle of the African bush, trying to figure out which sensor just went pop on my FI, is not the kind of situation I relish. Hell, forget about carrying tools on a ride, toss your IPAC and usb cable into your Camel pak. :applause:

I know technology has come a long way, but to me a good only mechanical carb is perfect for its intended purpose. Drown it in a river, pull it apart, blow it out and fire it up, I mean how difficult is it to clean a blocked jet. FI on the other hand with its MAF, Lamba, temp sensors, high pressure fuel pumps and finniky injectors (which will just love water and grit) is going to cause major reliability issues when exposed to offroad riding conditions.

Leave FI for road bikes and cars, Mr Honda and Mr Yamaha🤣

PLEASE !!!

Yeah, the fuel injection on all my Mercedes, Mistubishis, Toyotas and Jeeps ALWAYS left me stranded!! What are they thinking??? Polaris has it on their pricey quads, and all the Utah Game Wardens, rescue personell and cops choose Polaris WAY over any quad for their reliability.

I want FI ASAP on my EVERYTHING! I live at 7100 feet and play at 8-10,000 feet.

Who wants to re jet all the time?!?!? FI just senses it and changes instantaneously.

I have two injected bikes, and they've been completely trouble-free (well, from an FI standpoint) the entire time. I'll likely tear the final drive out of my GS before any of the FI components break.

Come to think of it, I can't recall an injection component failure in the several years I've been a part of the oilhead GS community - and the guys I know have taken those bikes to hell and back without so much as an electronic hiccup.

Not much to it: throttle position sensor, injection map EPROM, a small pump, an injector or two, and an exhaust oxygen sensor. All of which can be less than five pounds depending on the manufacturer. The electronic components are pretty hardened... they've been doing this for a while, you know.

I personally would love FI. I like TBB live and ride at different elevations. I live at about 7k and ride at 10k. Having fuel injection would be very reliable, if done right. Im sure that if YAMOTO or some other crappy commie bike tried it, it would be otherwise.

However I could see that a race bike wouldnt want it. It almost certainly would add some weight.

When snowmobiles started to come out with EFI everyone said the same thing (don't want to be stuck on the mountain with a broken EFI). But.. pretty much all high perf. snowmobiles are EFI now and people rave about the spot on jetting.

Just read the Jetting section of the Technical forums and you'll see who needs EFI.

Ride on

Brewster

if they come out with EFI on Yamaha/Honda 250Fs then that will give me good enough reason to buy a new bike. :banghead:

Amen to that!

Waiting for that to happen to get a 450F again.

well, fuel injection has more parts and therefore can be succeptible to breakage. Airplanes have just now started to adopt EFI because it has proven itself to be reliable. Aircraft engine have been carburated for a long time mainly because of the reliability. EFI is still a fairly new technology but has come a very very long way in it's course. fuel injection on a motorcycle along with electronic timing would bring motorcycles into a new era. Imagine being able to hook up a tool and being able to adjust all sorts of parameters with just a few touches of a button. of course it will bump up prices quite a bit, but in several years it will be OE on all bikes so it will drive the prices down.

i say bring it on

"fuel injection on a motorcycle along with electronic timing would bring motorcycles into a new era."

Could you expand on that? I mean, we've got ten years of electronic ignition and injection on the oilheads now...

haven't seen the Gas Gas system, but if fuel injection means that my bike will in any way resemble what Canondale did to their bikes, count me out. What a mess of wires, sensors, boxes, crap! Sure, BMW and others have finally got their systems right, but it's totally at the expense of simplicity. Call me old fashioned if you want, but my fcr pumper works really well, AND I can work on it. My Husaberg is a model of simplicity, it just seems a shame to complicate it with all that stuff. A good friend of mine is Adam Wade, who literally wrote the book on FI, he constantly tries to sell me on the idea, like it's "going to change the world!!". To which I reply "the world changes all the time, George W. changed the world, all change isn't always good".