Sign in to follow this  

Anybody ever have this issue?

OK, this is my 3rd 250f, and on all of them I sometimes notice the same thing. Sometimes when I drain the oil, it looks like only about 3/4 of a quart is coming out. I currently have a fresh engine that doesn't smoke, but it has happened on all my 250f's regardless of there age and condition. Has anybody else noticed this?

Usually I drain from the frame and then the crankcase, but rarely bother with the oil line on the right hand side.

Have you ever measured what comes out? It never looks like alot when it comes out but remember an oil change with out doing the filter on the 03 and newer is only 1000cc's. That's not alot to begin with. Measure it sometime and see what is truely coming out and then you'll know for certain.

BFS

The way the manual informs you to drain your oil is the best way to get the majority of it out and the particles. Start your bike up, run it for about 5 minutes, ride it around slow wait til it warms up a bit and the oil is circulated through the engine and into the frame, then turn it off... start by removing the dip stick in the frame, and the oil filler cap on the engine... next get 2 oil drain pans, remove the bolt in the frame, and remove the one on the side of the crankcase... let the oil drain out... if your doing a filter, you can get more of the oil out, however there wont be much behind the filter cover... let the bike drain until it seems like no more is coming out, then replace the oil drain plugs, put the frame dip stick in, and start fillin it up... 1,000 CC's without a filter, 1,100 CC's with a filter.... after fillin it up, put the oil filler cap back on and your good to go.. i usually start my bike up and run it again for another 5 minutes after i drain it, just to get the oil moving through the bike... i dont think it makes a difference though...

I'll admit that sometimes I drain the oil with the bike cold. I've also never measured the oil, so I know I need to do that.

Mine have all been 01 and 02 models though, so they should hold about a half-quart more than the newer ones.