Sign in to follow this  

Calm my fears ?

I recently bought a 2000 DR650 with 3500 miles on it for commuting to work.I've been worry about every little odd noise this thing makes, every tiny oil weep, how hot the thing seems to run and so on. Then I read about you guys who actually off road these bikes (they get hotter than hell riding that hard and slow . . don't they?) and I wonder if I should quit thinking about the bike and just ride it ? I've screwed around with the fuel mixture screw so much I can't remember where it ran best . . it always seems that adjustments help certain things but cause problems elsewhere. I just want the thing to run cooler & smoother . . . .is that too much to ask ?

Well, my '97 makes wierd noises, isn't that smooth, and can get pretty hot - but it always, always runs.

Hey first of all, try too calm down.I am the same way you are, I worry about every little thing. I went through the whole mixture screw thing that you did.

I tried different oils to try to get it to shift better. I adjusted the the clutch cable about a thousand times. Found out that it was too tight, not too loose, causing the clutch to get hot. :applause: tried a million things with the airbox, more power, less power, i dont know, but in the end, I finally got it running like a beast. I found that I was READING INTO THE THREADS TOO MUCH and causing myself more headaches. There is alot of good info here, but everybody has their own opinion :banghead: You gotta find what works best for you, and maybe go have a few and relax. Here's what I did over the course of several months:

1. MIXTURE SCREW: alot of opinions on this: in the end I did it pretty much by ear. I dint know where the hell I was, turned it all the way counterclockwise while running, you'll start choking her out, she'll start to stumble and the idle may drop some, TURN CLOCKWISE WHEN THIS HAPPENS,

slowly turn clockwise, youll hear the idle increasing,keep going slowly, keep going through the high idle slowly, this is your sweet spot, keep turning SLOWLY until the idle begins to drop again, now your getting lean. you want to go slowly back counterclockwise to where the idle comes up, There is a window where the idle stays high maybe 1/4 to 1/2 a turn to play with,. you want to be somewher in this window. i set it to the richer side of the window.

2. Go get some shell rotella t 15/40. This made a huge difference in how cool it runs. You can also get it in synthetic. Its a heavy duty commercial oil. It also shifts alot better, you can adjust the cable but make sure you're releasing all the way.

3. I bought header wrap and silicone sealant.This seems to keep the header cooler and less radiant heat to the engine.

4. I run with a k&n filter with the cover on, but I drilled alot of holes in the airbox, I run the dyno 155 main. it dintnt like having the cover off.

hope this helps, take it or leave it, but you have to find what works best for you,

mike

I agree with gitira5... these big bore singles make some weird noises.

You'll get used to them. The heat is a "Feature" and nothing you do will

make a very big difference to it.... except using better oils like gitira5

suggests, running cooler plugs and making sure it's not running too lean.

Just enjoy the bike..... although, for some of us the fiddling is half the fun :banghead:

Yep these bikes are bulletproof. Ride the hell out of it and it'll just keep taking you there :banghead:

Riding top speed for a couple hours and it'll just keep going. Nothing goes wrong with these bikes, except the earlier usual problems.

thanks everyone for your comments. I'm running syntheic Amsoil and will be changing the plugs soon . . . . I think some of the noise is coming from that little chain roller on top of the chain.

I took it off, it was making alot of noise, and when the woman wants to go for a ride, I found that it was rubbing alot and wearing the chain. I also have no chain gaurd, but that's alright, it fell off 2 days after buying the bike