Sign in to follow this  

So what do I do with the POS

Bought an 04x last year 4 mo later...valves gone installed another set...there close to gone. :banghead: Can't afford to do all this upkeep and spent to much time wrenching to keep it going so I could not race it and bought a 300 EXC . I love the 300 so I tried to sell the 250x.....can't sell, no body will give me a fair price for it because of the bad valve rap....so I'm stuck with this thing. Don't have a wife to let her ride it so I'm thinking about dual sporting the bike .My question is this thing worth dual sporting and how would you go about doing this. I'm thinking since gas prices have gone thru the roof I can save some on fuel cost and have some fun riding around town and dirt roads.Is my logic flawed...there would be very little highway riding. Do you think the engine would hold up under lower stress dual sport type use....any other ideas??

I say go for it. I'll be dual sporting mine one of these days.. I'm a procrastinator though.. There are a few others that have DS'd the 250X.. Maybe an '06 head along with a few other changes will fix your problem for good.

If you keep riding it, you have to promise to quit bashing it in this forum 🤣

p.s. I've reached TT silver status! :banghead: It tool 2.5 years. I can't believe some folks reach that status in a matter of months.. :applause:

-Mike

handlebar,

In the same boat brother, KTM250Sx is so sweet. Junior still loves the CRF but to be honest I have my line equity line of credit bursting at close to the 10K max with this POS CRF. that includes the 4K I paid for it. We only finished 4 races out of 18 on this red devil machine from hell.

Dual sport is what we did. I cobbled a low budget kit (search for al old post of mine about 2-3 weeks ago). I had a clean NJ title for the bike so Penna took it without issue, had Progressive insurance since day one just incase it got ripped off.

Wired up the kit off the Cooling fan circuit and it works very well. We will run an Enduro or 2 yet this year but Junior (16) just hops on it after school, down the road to the nearest trail and goes for some easy practice. Been doing this for almost 3 weeks. Funny part is we clocked up a couple hundred miles and the valves are doing well. I had to shim the Exhaust once after the last race. It knows that it must behave since after it fails as a dual sport it is done...scrap...parting out on Ebay or we will graft an old XR motor into that fine chassis.

As for running on the road we still have the 13/51 gear set on it. 60 mph it does but it is running real hard. I have a 14 front that should help. Since we hit the trails anything higher will be cause for clutch abuse and I do not need that exspense. If you ride just road then a can see a 14/49 or 48 being a good choice. The Stock Muffler kills some zip so we have left the Bill's on it and we just take it easy on the locals.

Good luck

Mike

I am on my 4th set of intakes from riding trails and dual sport. No racing. I finally put in the Ferrera kit from Fastman. A little pricey but no other choice. I put the steel valve in a friends X a year ago and they are holding up so far with no reshim. Good luck.

Bought an 04x last year 4 mo later...valves gone installed another set...there close to gone. :banghead: Can't afford to do all this upkeep and spent to much time wrenching to keep it going so I could not race it and bought a 300 EXC . I love the 300 so I tried to sell the 250x.....can't sell, no body will give me a fair price for it because of the bad valve rap....so I'm stuck with this thing. Don't have a wife to let her ride it so I'm thinking about dual sporting the bike .My question is this thing worth dual sporting and how would you go about doing this. I'm thinking since gas prices have gone thru the roof I can save some on fuel cost and have some fun riding around town and dirt roads.Is my logic flawed...there would be very little highway riding. Do you think the engine would hold up under lower stress dual sport type use....any other ideas??

What do you consider a "Fair Price"?

I have 3 of them and I'll buy another if the Price is right. I am in California so there's going to be another 400 or so Shipping I would Guess.

Look Handlebar, for the love of God, sell the damn thing, everyone knows you hate it and love your KTM, I couldn't be happier for you, but instead of causing yourself and all of us grief sell the damn thing. You should get 3500 or 4000 for it.

some of us actually like the bike, mine has some 80 hours on it with stock everything, maybe I am lucky, maybe it is the way I ride. For me your KTMjust doesn't do it, for starters I need a Green sticker.

Look Handlebar, for the love of God, sell the damn thing, everyone knows you hate it and love your KTM, I couldn't be happier for you, but instead of causing yourself and all of us grief sell the damn thing. You should get 3500 or 4000 for it.

some of us actually like the bike, mine has some 80 hours on it with stock everything, maybe I am lucky, maybe it is the way I ride. For me your KTMjust doesn't do it, for starters I need a Green sticker.

Give me $4000 and I will shut my mouth and close my TT account :banghead:

Wel Hb you sure aint gonna sell it here! I mean with your testamonials youd think it was the friggin antichrist!

"hey, how come I cant sell this POS"............................ :banghead:

wonder why?

Wel Hb you sure aint gonna sell it here! I mean with your testamonials youd think it was the friggin antichrist!

"hey, how come I cant sell this POS"............................ :banghead:

wonder why?

I almost hate to take someones money for this bike except maybe yours Mike. Did you get your sons VALVES replaced??

Why not drop a cr 500 motor in it?? Isn't that what service honda is doing, then part out the CRFX motor, then you could sell the CR500 AF for about $5000 or more in Cali if it is green sticker. The CR500 AF sells for about $8000 new.

That a good idea Zeek!!! Where would I come up with a motor?? I do not have welding capabilities but can machine some.That might even be a bike worth keeping :banghead:

Will the CRF250/450 go under the category of "worst bikes of the day"?

I almost hate to take someones money for this bike except maybe yours Mike. Did you get your sons VALVES replaced??

Hmmm, how very rude....... :banghead:

Were replacing more than valves baby, this things gonna be a real bomb.

No, that will go to the TTR kids bike.

Silly me, I thought the TTR125 got PLAYBIKE OF THE YEAR for about 5 years now. And all those complaints about the CRF valves(including yours :banghead: ) are just jokes right. :applause:

BTW, I'd rather ride 100% of the time, do no maintenance, not pay for stupid parts, and only spend 1,400 for my bike, instead of ride 50% of the time, work on my bike more than i ride it and spend over double what a TTR can be bought for. Some people like riding more than paying for and taking time to install valves.🤣🤣 some ppl have a life, and ride only as a hobby. Your never gonna be the next RC.🤣🤣

:applause: Feathers Ruffled Alert 🤣

i'll just go and ride it off. at least i can ride it off :banghead:🤣

Silly me, I thought the TTR125 got PLAYBIKE OF THE YEAR for about 5 years now. And all those complaints about the CRF valves(including yours :applause: ) are just jokes right.🤣

That's right.....Playbike of the Year.🤣

No problems with my bike, and it's not a Playbike. :banghead:

Some ppl have a life outside trying to get their engine to work better, or JUST TO GET it WORKING in your case. and i don't call my bike a POS. judging by your icon, i think you need to "get a life now". lol